Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Prime Dose Review  (Read 6133 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Prime Dose Review
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2015, 10:54:31 am »
I don't bottle condition any more, but I had the best success with the coopers carbonation drops. Well as fall as going for speidel to bottle.

+1 for the coopers drops. Always consistent reults.

I used the prime dose to attempt to carb my wedding gift beers and i had major consistency issues. I'm guessing due to how much yeast was still around when i bottled the different beers. My HG belgian stout 10% abv that i used 3787 on were all super over carbonated even with just 1 dose pill per 12 oz bottle.

my 2 cents is the prime dose pils have dextrose AND yeast in them so over carb can be an issue if you have a low attenuation beer...

unless the yeast in the prime dose is more attenuative than the yeast you used to ferment the beer in the first place it wasn't the added yeast that caused the gushing. the yeast will only produce as much co2 as there is available carbon with which to produce it. if your belgian stout was a gusher it was because it wasn't actually done fermenting or it had a contamination issue.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2015, 12:02:53 pm »
Yep, good to know.  I try to keep my beer free of boogers.
Sorry, I misunderstood what 'mit schuss' meant.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Black Sands Brewery & Supply

• Assistant Brewer
  • Head Brewer - Black Sands
    • Black Sands
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2015, 06:37:13 pm »
I don't bottle condition any more, but I had the best success with the coopers carbonation drops. Well as fall as going for speidel to bottle.

+1 for the coopers drops. Always consistent reults.

I used the prime dose to attempt to carb my wedding gift beers and i had major consistency issues. I'm guessing due to how much yeast was still around when i bottled the different beers. My HG belgian stout 10% abv that i used 3787 on were all super over carbonated even with just 1 dose pill per 12 oz bottle.

my 2 cents is the prime dose pils have dextrose AND yeast in them so over carb can be an issue if you have a low attenuation beer...

unless the yeast in the prime dose is more attenuative than the yeast you used to ferment the beer in the first place it wasn't the added yeast that caused the gushing. the yeast will only produce as much co2 as there is available carbon with which to produce it. if your belgian stout was a gusher it was because it wasn't actually done fermenting or it had a contamination issue.

none of the bottles gushed... they were just over carbed. I don't recall the FG on that beer... but it was 3-4 week primary and then another 2 in secondary. so Pretty sure it was done fermenting.
Free recipes available for download on our website www.blacksandsbeer.com

Offline Dragonflylady

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2015, 08:59:28 pm »
I have been having a challenge with getting the carbonation correct. Flat beer is not good. I like the idea of sugar cubes to make sure the sugar concentration is consistent. For 22oz, I assume that 2 cubes would be the right dose???? I brew small batches so at this time, kegging is a bit expensive option.

Offline TMX

• Assistant Brewer
  • Evolution of the next Revolution
    • TxBrewing
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2015, 11:24:43 am »
I was looking at those to supplement bottling from my keg of to bottle prime for comps. Bottling from the keg usually leaves the beer a bit flat
"The ART of brewing Beer, is the ACT of brewing Beer"
https://txbrewing.wordpress.com

Ferm 1: Irish Red Ale
Ferm 2:

On Deck: American Wheat

Keg 1: Un-Common
Keg 2: Switchback Stout

Total Gallons brewed (2015) - 10

Offline hmbrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2015, 05:05:43 am »
Just thought I would post a follow up to my original post....opened up the last test bottle, and its been a solid 2+ months since bottled, and the gel capsule is still in there. Oh well... I'll chalk it up to being a bad batch based on some of the positive feedback I'm seeing.
I brew beer, I drink beer...it really is that simple

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2015, 05:35:41 am »
Being lazy I went ahead and used the Prime Dose capsule for a beer I had been aging nearly a year. I hope that the capsule completely dissolves but if it doesn't I'll just give a heads up about it to whomever I decide to share with. This is a beer I plan on aging for years so hopefully given enough time, it will dissolve.

Offline micbou

• 1st Kit
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2015, 06:41:22 pm »
I used Prime Dose recently to increase the carbonation in a batch of Irish Red Ale.  I had carbonated it in the bottles, but didn't get the level of carbonation I usually get.  It has been 4 weeks, and it worked to get the carbonation level up to what I wanted.  Like others though, the capsules do not dissolve.  It is gross and I will have to filter out each bottle as I drink them.  I notice that you cannot find this product anymore.  Northern Brewer (where I bought mine a few weeks ago) and Midwest Beer Supply no longer carry it on their web site.  I guess the price and problems such as the capsule not dissolving led to the product demise.