Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer Gun Tips  (Read 4662 times)

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Re: Beer Gun Tips
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2014, 12:20:07 am »
If you can get a partner to help it really improves the beer gun bottling experience. One person on the gun and the other on the capper and you don't have to stop and get that foaming every time.

Good point.  I can't wait for my son or daughter to be old enough to help with this task.  I will make it one of their chores.
Ha! As my dad used to affectionately say,"what good are dwarves if you can make 'em work?" ;)
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline edonald774

• 1st Kit
    • Eli's blog
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2014, 02:35:33 am »
I had a test run the other week to reply to this thread.

I Don't use a kegorator so my kegs are room temperature ish. I found using the gun at this temperature, no matter the serving pressure I got bubbles in the tube and foam in the bottles.

I chilled the kegs as cold as I could get them, didn't chill the gun or bottles, this way it was perfect. No foam, no bubbles.

I just had enough pressure to push the beer into the beer line and no more.

Corny 1: milk stout
Corny 2: pumpkin ale
Corny 3: best bitter
Corny 4: American ale single hopped - Amarillo

http://www.elidonald.co.uk/blog
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 12:47:13 am by edonald774 »
I'd rather be brewing

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2014, 05:15:25 am »
Every time this post thread comes up I think of that little black rubber tip that falls off the beer gun into the bottle that you're trying to fill.  I thought this would be a topic about how to keep it from falling off.
I had to buy one at my lhbs and couldn't believe how much they charged, so I mentioned it to the guy at the Blichman booth at NHC and he gave me a small handful of them at no charge.  It was a nice score.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2014, 01:13:03 pm »
Every time this post thread comes up I think of that little black rubber tip that falls off the beer gun into the bottle that you're trying to fill.  I thought this would be a topic about how to keep it from falling off.
I had to buy one at my lhbs and couldn't believe how much they charged, so I mentioned it to the guy at the Blichman booth at NHC and he gave me a small handful of them at no charge.  It was a nice score.

Yep, I think a bunch of us got a good supply of those tips.  And of course now that I have the extra, I've never lost one in a bottle.  Same with my hydrometer, once I bought a back-up, I've never broken one. 

And to the OP:  Another hint is to ahve the keg at the same height as the bottles.  At least it helps me. 

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2014, 01:22:09 pm »
I've had good luck at 4-7 PSI while being lazy and not cooling my bottles and gun, although as previously stated this is best practice.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2015, 12:03:29 pm »
Well, I bottled all 10 gallons last night, and I'm pretty impressed with this device.  At 4 PSI, I had no to minimal foaming.  I doubt I lost more than 4 ounces of beer over the entire run.

Turns out they are actually serving this beer at the wedding, so I hope it came out well. I barely had a chance to taste any of it.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2015, 01:29:03 pm »

At 4 PSI, I had no to minimal foaming.  I doubt I lost more than 4 ounces of beer over the entire run.
Nice. That's great efficiency. I always have some foam, not enough to bother me, but, I loose probably 4-5 oz of beer per 12 pack. Maybe I should up the pressure to 4PSI.