Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dedicated home-brew store in your neighborhood?  (Read 2573 times)

Offline Wombat32

• 1st Kit
Re: Dedicated home-brew store in your neighborhood?
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2014, 08:40:15 pm »
Michigan is a homebrew mecca. The store I use is very close to the house, and Andy the owner and all his employees have been homebrewers for many years. They also give a discount to the homebrew club I am a member of.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2014, 08:44:05 pm »
I drive around d town frequently for work which gives me regular access to 3 different stores that are all about 30-40 minutes from home  but on my routes between our facilities. One has a great selection of everything, runs a brewery with great beer and taproom, equipment and seems to have every yeast choice I have sought after. The staff is knowledgeable but leans towards old school info compared to what I have gleaned from this forum. This is where I choose to spend my money as the other 2 have each disappointed me a time or 2 with old yeast, poor advice, or other issues. Back to the original, Dan runs a great shop!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 08:52:24 pm by 69franx »
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2014, 09:22:36 pm »
I just went to Wish You Were Beer and got all the ingredients for a Brown Ale.  It's a bottle shop and growler filling station on the other side of the county.  Not a huge selection but they had everything I needed.  For instance they didn't have CaraPils so I subbed Munton's CaraMalt and no Wyeast 1056 so I got WL001.

You drove to Madison? Are you crazy?

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2014, 07:04:27 am »

I just went to Wish You Were Beer and got all the ingredients for a Brown Ale.  It's a bottle shop and growler filling station on the other side of the county.  Not a huge selection but they had everything I needed.  For instance they didn't have CaraPils so I subbed Munton's CaraMalt and no Wyeast 1056 so I got WL001.

I had to pick up Mom at the airport so it was on the way. :)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2014, 07:41:35 am »

I had to pick up Mom at the airport so it was on the way. :)

Glad to  the supply has continued to improve! I talked to damon a few months ago and he is considering putting a small shop in the new stone development. Homebrew only I believe.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2014, 08:18:09 am »
I have two to choose from. The main one is about 40 minutes away, the second about 15-20.

I generally use the further one, the owner is a friend, very knowledgeable staff, huge supply and variety of everything needed from hardware to ingredients and you self serve all your ingredients which I like.

The second is smaller, knowledgeable staff as well but much less variety. They do operate a club but haven't had the chance to check it out.
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2014, 10:50:24 am »
I have five clubs in my metropolitan area although the further the distance the better the store seems to be. I do most of my shopping at the store fourth furthest from my house because they are the most reliable at carrying what I need and their prices are the most reasonable. I know I can place an order on my computer and when I pick it up in a few days the order will be correct. The problem is that it's a forty minute drive out there and I rarely find myself in that part of town at a time convenient to be out there. Their shipping is prohibitively expensive. So I often buy from one of the larger online shops where it is comparably expensive but I don't have to waste time or gas picking up the order.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline mbalbritton

• Cellarman
  • Tapatalk User
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2014, 01:05:52 pm »
There are 3 shops in my area. 2 are within 10 minute drive of my office. 1 is my go to for all things. Hardware, supplies, books, ingredients, and a great knowledge from the owner and staff.