Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: complete high gravity fermentation within three days?  (Read 1292 times)

Offline james_cornell

• 1st Kit
complete high gravity fermentation within three days?
« on: January 12, 2015, 09:29:04 pm »
I recently brewed an IPA with an original gravity of 1.075. It was a 3 gallon batch (about 2.6/2.7 gallon in the fermenter) that I fermented in a 5 gallon carboy with plans to transfer it to a 3 gallon secondary and dry hop when primary fermentation is complete. I used a White Labs California ale yeast that I had washed from a previous batch and created a starter a couple days ahead of time.

With this size batch (and usually a lower original gravity), I usually just pitch a vial with no starter and get fermentation in about 24 hrs.  With this particular batch I had a lot of activity within just a couple hours and today, only 3 days later I noticed my krausen was almost gone. Since, I was gettin out the sanitizer to make another starter for a different batch, I decided to take a quick gravity readin and sure enough, approx 1.014 - close to if not, my final gravity.

Now before someone calls me a nervous noob, I'm not worried or freakin out, I'm not about to immediately transfer it to the secondary or doing anythin stupid, impatient or irrational, I'm just curious - is this normal or, considering everything above, does this sound right?

Thanks,

Offline dordway29

• Cellarman
Re: complete high gravity fermentation within three days?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 11:11:48 pm »
Does not seem too unusual, most of your fermentation happens within the first day or two. I would still let it sit for a week or so before I would consider moving it.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 09:02:23 am »
yeah, that's not too unusual. I'm guessing it doesn't taste quite done yet but the actual work of fermenting can go quite quickly if one pitches enough yeast.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline james_cornell

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 09:32:56 am »
After fermentation, whats happenin thats still affecting flavor?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 09:35:20 am »
After fermentation, whats happenin thats still affecting flavor?

the yeast will continue to metabolize byproducts of earlier stages of fermentation (diacetyl, acetaldehyde, etc) which don't taste particularly good.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 10:55:04 pm »
The advice here is that re-pitches of WLP001  take off and work like crazy, so it's possible. How much if the old slurry did you use for this smallish batch, and did you make a starter with the slurry or direct pitch?
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)