Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mixing Yeasts  (Read 452 times)

Offline Mathais

• 1st Kit
Mixing Yeasts
« on: March 22, 2023, 07:10:41 am »
I made my first Pale Ale recently with LAL Windsor. I really enjoyed the flavors that it gave but wanted it to attenuate more.

Going to brew the same recipe again with s-33 which is close to the same strand.

My plan is to ferment for 3-4 days with just s-33 to get the fruity flavors, then pitch some s-04 to finish off the maltotriose.

Is this sound reasoning?
Has anyone ever mixed yeast for similar results?

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Mixing Yeasts
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2023, 08:06:23 am »
I too really enjoy the taste of Windsor yeast.  I just posted about this recently on another thread (it was kind of a tangent).

I have never tried S-33, so if it's equivalent, you can extrapolate the below, +/-.

If you use S-04, I wouldn't necessarily wait 3-4 days.  I'd add it earlier, within a few hours of the Windsor or S-33 pitch, but in a smaller proportion.  For me, Windsor often has produced a thick impenetrable krausen within 5-10 hours (on repitches, sometimes 2-3 hours!).  I have waited 4-10 days to pitch the second yeast in combo with Windsor, but I usually got inferior results than with a simultaneous co-pitch.

The classical mix is Windsor + Nottingham, but I did not care for that.  (And I find Nottingham mediocre in all respects, by itself or in combo.)

I have had success combining Windsor with Bry-97, US-05, Verdant, S-04, 1272 (Anchor-Liberty?), 1450 (Denny's Fave), Lallemand's Koln/Kolsch, and even BE-134 (but note that BE-134 is diastaticus, and you need to ferment it very cold, around 55, to keep BE-134 clean.  I got away from that one because it can take over future generations of re-pitch and I can't guarantee a cold ferment temp.  Also, it can eventually attenuate to >90%, and that's too much for most of my beers.  However, it can work in a super-high gravity beer and leave just enough.)

Of all those, I really like Windsor blended with Verdant, and that has become my current "house" yeast (with just a pinch of Bry-97).  Unlike most of those slower yeasts that I mentioned, Verdant and S-04 also tend to take off really quickly, so I give Windsor a larger portion of the pitch, and/or add the Verdant or S-04 10 hours to 24 hours later to give Windsor a headstart.  (With re-pitched next generations, all bets are off as they compete with each other.)

I'm on about the 8th generation of that "house" blend, and my last 5 beers or so have been easily my best/favorites beers I have ever brewed, each exceeding my expectations.

Someone else suggested trying Lal's New England in a blend as it too is slower to take off, and attenuates higher.  I haven't tried this combo yet, but may eventually.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 08:11:38 am by ScallyWag »

Offline Mathais

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2023, 08:15:06 am »
Awesome I’m glad I wasn’t completely off base with this. What percentage of attenuation do you get with the Windsor and verdant mix

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 08:27:26 am »
I'm generally getting 79% to 85%, depending on mash temp and non-fermentable content.  I brew mostly higher ABV beers, so hitting 85% for me isn't as thin as it would be on a lower OG beer.  I've made some 'lite' beers recently with OGs around 1.050 and 1.054, and so I adjust the mash temp and/or crystal [if any] to not over-attenuate.  But even at that OG, Windsor alone would still be too underattenuated for my tastes.

I think Verdant + Windsor is a match made in heaven.  Love them both separately; love them even more together.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2023, 10:28:38 am »
Our next BYO column is about mixing yeasts.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell