Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Conicals again  (Read 4382 times)

Offline ScottBeh

• Assistant Brewer
Conicals again
« on: December 25, 2014, 02:25:01 pm »
Hi.  Trying to justify the leap to a conical.  Ive searched and read the posts here, but they don't answer this question.  While the convenience factor looms large, the yeast book talks about the fluid dynamics within a conical will give you faster ferments, less diacetyl, better attenuation because of the flow of CO2 upwards from the center of the cone.  Can anyone who uses one say they get these improvements on a homebrew sized conical.  There don't appear to be a lot of side by side tests, likely cause once you get a conical you never look back.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: Conicals again
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 03:25:56 pm »
Here is a review I did a while back after putting a couple of brews through a new conical.   
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=19586.msg249656#msg249656

The only thing I would add is that I am awaiting a second conical right now.  I have ordered the Chronical 7 gallon fermenter: http://www.ssbrewtech.com/products/7-gallon-chronical

I like the seal on it much better than the Stout fermenter.  It also comes with a tri-clamp fitting on the lid, which I had to add to the Stout one.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 03:44:04 pm »
I don't subscribe to the contention that a conical creates a better ferment. I do WHOLE-HEARTEDLY contend that moving from a large glass vessel is very important to a brewer's health! While plastic is a decent material for a fermenter, stainless is still better. That is how a SST conical can be better. The new cylindrical SST vessels could be a good option too.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 03:47:55 pm »
On a homebrew scale I have experienced no difference in quality of the finished product. I have been using a stainless conical, buckets, glass and plastic carboys for a number of years. I actually prefer the buckets and carboys for the ease of arranging them in my cooler. If you're wanting to drop trub or pull yeast from the cone, that would be the only advantage to the conical and that can be a pain as the racking ports (mine is not rotatable) can get completely clogged so nothing comes out easily.

If you have everything else your heart desires for brewing - go ahead. But, a conical would definitely not be an early purchase in my acquisition of desired brew gear.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline ScottBeh

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 04:08:10 am »
Thanks.  Lots to think about.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 02:22:07 pm »
I love my spiedel tanks! I recommend them over a conical. That said, the only thing I don't like about them is yeast harvesting. Conicals are definitely good for that.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 04:21:01 pm »
I love my spiedel tanks! I recommend them over a conical. That said, the only thing I don't like about them is yeast harvesting. Conicals are definitely good for that.
Considering getting a spiedel for the valve to ditch my siphon, but I've heard a number of people say theirs leaks so they don't end up using it.  Any feedback on the valve?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 04:42:07 pm »
Considering getting a spiedel for the valve to ditch my siphon, but I've heard a number of people say theirs leaks so they don't end up using it.  Any feedback on the valve?

I have 4 of them and no problems leaking. They also hold pressure amazingly well. If you seal the top with the cap as opposed to the airlock and if there is any activity going on the lid will bulge and swell.

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 05:23:35 pm »
To many parts to clean for me. Keep it simple in my eyes. Carboy glass or food grade plastic.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2014, 05:30:37 pm »
To many parts to clean for me. Keep it simple in my eyes. Carboy glass or food grade plastic.
Don't you clean your siphon in between uses as well?

Offline ram5ey

• Cellarman
    • Isaac Ramsey Design
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2014, 07:01:34 pm »
I've had several speidel valve leaks. I did the mod of adding a brew bucket valve and racking arm to a spare cap. That has worked well.

All that said I ordered a 7gal chronical today.  I will be keeping the speidel though because it is still very useful.
Macon, GA

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2014, 08:49:16 pm »

Yes run a bit of PBW through it in a 2Qt container and soak for a bit. 
To much to break down with conical. The more parts the more to break down and clean. For me anyways.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2014, 09:47:21 pm »
Speidel fan here. Its really the only way to go. But then duh, everyone knows that. I don't seem to have any trouble harvesting yeast. Rack beer, leave a bit, swirl n pour. I dont use the spigots, they are still new. In fact the cap on the bottom is only used for dumping oxyclean or sanitizer. I would think a conical would be handy once you get up to barrel sized or larger batches. Like I can't imagine a 15 barrel speidel would be much fun to swirl n pour.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2014, 04:29:36 am »

Yes run a bit of PBW through it in a 2Qt container and soak for a bit. 
To much to break down with conical. The more parts the more to break down and clean. For me anyways.

Yes, those small conicals are a PITA to clean. I had the 42 gallon blickmans for a while and it took hours to clean. Lots of gaskets and ball valves that need disassembled.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2014, 04:33:44 am »
Speidel fan here. Its really the only way to go. But then duh, everyone knows that. I don't seem to have any trouble harvesting yeast. Rack beer, leave a bit, swirl n pour. I dont use the spigots, they are still new. In fact the cap on the bottom is only used for dumping oxyclean or sanitizer. I would think a conical would be handy once you get up to barrel sized or larger batches. Like I can't imagine a 15 barrel speidel would be much fun to swirl n pour.

Well, it's not the most sanitary transfer what with the large opening and the lid being off the entire duration of the transfer. Since the lid is so large and my container I store yeast in has a small neck (1 gallon bottle) I have to use a funnel. Certainly not a deal breaker but it is on the con list. I think the pros outweigh the cons.