Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: reusing German Ale Yeast  (Read 1529 times)

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
reusing German Ale Yeast
« on: December 29, 2014, 07:03:39 am »
Hey all,
I haven't yet tried reusing yeast cake and I have an Altbier that's just finishing up, would like to give it a shot with my german ale yeast (WYeast).  Anyone have suggestions as to a style I should pursue with this yeast?  I'd like to go dark if possible.
Thanks and happy holidays!

Offline brewday

• Brewer
Re: reusing German Ale Yeast
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 08:01:45 am »
Doppelsticke!

80% Pils
10% Munich
7% Caramunich
3% Choc Wheat

WY 1007 @60*

Hopped like an IPA w/Hallertauer, Perle, etc.  It can (should) even be dry hopped.

7-8%, 60+ IBU, 20+ SRM

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 08:08:11 am »
Well that's a fantastic first response, brewday, thank you!!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 08:39:12 am »
Doppelsticke!

80% Pils
10% Munich
7% Caramunich
3% Choc Wheat

WY 1007 @60*

Hopped like an IPA w/Hallertauer, Perle, etc.  It can (should) even be dry hopped.

7-8%, 60+ IBU, 20+ SRM

+1! Great suggestion. And those are great hop suggestion but Spalter would probably be the most traditional. For American hops you could also use Crystal with fantastic results!

Also, you can make "mock" lager with the yeast. Start the fermentation of at 54 and most people will not be able to tell it is not a lager yeast.

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 10:06:53 am »
Crystal would be great.  You can really play around with the hops for this beer - I've even used a Hallertau/Citra combo at flameout and it did well.

I've always been hesitant to use Spalt, I think because of what I've read in BCS or one of Denny's altbier threads on hbd.

So... talk me into using Spalter.  Is it best used as an early or late addition, or both?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 11:53:09 am »
Spalter is more herbal and earthy than, say Mittlefruh.  I definitely think you have a lot of freedom in what hops to choose (I brewed a doppelstickealt last fall and used crystal and was very pleased, but then I really like crystal) but to me Spalter tastes like alt. You should try it for yourself sometime.

I only ever used it as finishing hop and use magnum as bittering for all my German type beers.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 12:07:47 pm »
Spalter is more herbal and earthy than, say Mittlefruh.  I definitely think you have a lot of freedom in what hops to choose (I brewed a doppelstickealt last fall and used crystal and was very pleased, but then I really like crystal) but to me Spalter tastes like alt. You should try it for yourself sometime.

I only ever used it as finishing hop and use magnum as bittering for all my German type beers.

I use Spalt all the way through on all of my alts.  I love it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 12:31:55 pm »
Sold ...

If Spalt 'tastes like alt' and is included in all of Denny's alts, then good enough for me.  Thanks!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2014, 12:34:21 pm »
+2 for Spalt. Good hop, really good in alt.
Jon H.

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2014, 12:54:05 pm »
Sounds like we've got unanimous advice to go with the Doppelsticke, and I'll work in the Spalt.  Thanks everyone!