Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rest Mash and Mash Out  (Read 5710 times)

Offline irob1992

• 1st Kit
Rest Mash and Mash Out
« on: December 26, 2014, 05:46:32 pm »
I'm trying to follow a recipe and am a little confused as how to handle the mash times. The recipe says:

"employ an upward infusion mash with a 30 minute rest at 152 F. Raise the temperature to 165 F for mash off"

So do I only mash at 152 F for 30 min total?

How long do I mash at 165 F for?

Dreaming of my own solar powered brewery

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Rest Mash and Mash Out
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 06:35:32 pm »
I would do the 152º for 60 to 90 minutes then run off. If you are sparging I'd sparge with 170-175

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 06:55:59 pm »
I would mash at 152 for at least 40 minutes.  No need to perform a mashout in a normal homebrew setting.  Just get the sweet wort heating up towards a boil as soon as you are able.  This way the "mashout" at 165 takes care of itself as the temperature continues to climb towards 212.  Mashouts are for huge batches (e.g. commercial brewing) where you cannot get up to a boil within an hour or so.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 07:06:10 pm »
You wouldn't really be resting @ 165F. The idea in the recipe is to do a mashout, which sort of locks in your fermentable sugar profile by stopping additional enzyme activity. Most homebrewers don't do a true mashout since, especially in the case of batch sparging, the time between mash runoff and bringing the wort to a boil is pretty small anyway. Like Jim said, I'd do a 60 minute mash @ 152F. It'll make a good beer.

EDIT - I see now you covered mash out, Dave !
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 07:07:47 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline irob1992

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 07:21:45 pm »
I see, that makes much more sense! Thank you!!
Dreaming of my own solar powered brewery

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 08:51:47 pm »
I like the hotter water for sparging because I have a whacky idea that it rinses the grain better. Plus its all got to be heated to a boil anyway, why not get a bump in that direction

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 09:01:41 pm »
I like the hotter water for sparging because I have a whacky idea that it rinses the grain better. Plus its all got to be heated to a boil anyway, why not get a bump in that direction

Me too. I still sparge at round 190ish.
Jon H.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2014, 10:40:26 am »

Me too. I still sparge at round 190ish.

Same here.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2014, 02:57:08 pm »
Yep, me too (long as we're all jumping on this bandwagon).
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2014, 05:11:28 pm »
Me too

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2014, 08:04:20 pm »
I fly sparged and decided to go cowboy and sparge in the 190s...those beers tasted grainy and/or astringent. I am now doing a modified batch sparge and keeping my grain bed at 168 max. I am much happier with the results. Taste your wort before you boil and see what you think.
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2014, 08:25:48 pm »
I fly sparged and decided to go cowboy and sparge in the 190s...those beers tasted grainy and/or astringent. I am now doing a modified batch sparge and keeping my grain bed at 168 max. I am much happier with the results. Taste your wort before you boil and see what you think.

I use 190F water for batch sparging and don't get astringency, BUT only since I started better pH control. I got astringency before when I sparged @ 160F with sub par pH control. So I'm convinced it's much more a pH issue than a sparge temp issue.
Jon H.

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2014, 08:51:34 pm »

I use 190F water for batch sparging and don't get astringency, BUT only since I started better pH control. I got astringency before when I sparged @ 160F with sub par pH control. So I'm convinced it's much more a pH issue than a sparge temp issue.

If you are Batch Sparging...Aren't you shooting for ~168 prior to draining?
—   Charles Bukowski

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2014, 08:59:49 pm »

Nope. In a true mashout (which homebrewers generally don't do), the grain bed temp is raised and held to around 168F.  It would take water considerably hotter to raise the grain bed to 168.
Jon H.

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2014, 09:13:14 pm »

Nope. In a true mashout (which homebrewers generally don't do), the grain bed temp is raised and held to around 168F.  It would take water considerably hotter to raise the grain bed to 168.

True on first mash out...but when i get down to about 2 inches above the bed...I stop draining and mash out again at 168 for what I call a modified Batch Sprage...That takes water about ~168...
—   Charles Bukowski