Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sparge option  (Read 4614 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Sparge option
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2014, 12:23:18 pm »
I've tried no sparge a couple times to try to make my overall brew time less. I found it really effected my efficiency negatively more significantly than I expected. My conclusion is that the small amount of time batch sparge added was well worth it and still super easy.

yes, no sparge is a great technique for malty beers but is not a time saver per se.
Why is it that no sparge increases maltiness? I remember Denny doing a no sparge in his American Mild attempts. Is it that a lot of the simpler sugars are left behind?

I guess the idea is to extract maximum non-fermentable soluables fromthe grain. I honestly can't say it's a huge difference but I do it with low gravity beers where I am trying to maximize body and flavor and I manage to get a lot of body and a malt flavor in those small beers so I'm going to keep doing it. it's worth a triangle test some day to figure it out for sure.
Is it the thinner mash that extracts more non-fermentables then? More liquid to get suspended in I suppose.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2014, 12:31:07 pm »
Why is it that no sparge increases maltiness? I remember Denny doing a no sparge in his American Mild attempts. Is it that a lot of the simpler sugars are left behind?

I can't say for sure it does increase maltiness, at least compared to batch sparging.  I've found them to be about the same.  I did it in the hope of increasing maltiness but none of the no sparge batches I've done (maybe 15 through the years) seemed to have that happen.  The main reason I did it was because of the small amount of grain.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2014, 12:33:30 pm »
Is it the thinner mash that extracts more non-fermentables then? More liquid to get suspended in I suppose.

I think it's more the opposite.  as Kai has mentioned, the wort you get from a sparge is "lower quality".  I take that to mean it has less flavor (thinner flavor) and more tannins.  I have found absolutely no difference in fermentability of no sparge batches.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2014, 12:36:41 pm »
I'd like to see a triangle test done, like Jonathan mentioned. I've done no sparge a few times and couldn't really tell a lot of difference. One time it seemed a little maltier, but so many things can affect that- grist, water chemistry, etc.  I definitely didn't notice a big difference, for sure.
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2014, 01:37:30 pm »
I have recently done many 2.5 gallon biab sessions. I started out thinking a no sparge (total volume of water at mash w/grains) would be the way to go because the larger volume of water would hold more heat and it seemed likely that a thinner mash would be more efficient. I did about 3 batches like that then moved to a system where I did about 1.5qt/# in the mash, "dunk sparged" in a second pot with the remainder of the water at 170 and got dramatically increased efficiency. Its not a big sample but the 3 no sparge batches seemed a little LESS malty. I believe 2 were ESB's or English IPA's with similar grain bills and yeast to ones I made soon after with the dunk "sparge" method. With no sparge I ended up with less volume of beer to get my target OG. That's why I'm asking because with my experience getting a maltier profile with no sparge seems counter-intuitive.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2014, 02:12:42 pm »

I think it's more the opposite.  as Kai has mentioned, the wort you get from a sparge is "lower quality".  I take that to mean it has less flavor (thinner flavor) and more tannins.  I have found absolutely no difference in fermentability of no sparge batches.

in this case I meant more the non-starch extracts you are pulling from the grain, maillard products, aromatics, etc. I have ZERO evidence to back this up beyond "it's what I have been doing and it seems to work well" so each brewer should give it a try themselves and see what they think. It may simply be a reduction in tannin extraction from  just below taste threshhold to way below.

I feel it would be an excellent area for further study.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2014, 10:27:32 am »
I wonder whether the supposed increased maltiness from no-sparge is a function of a brewer's water supply and the way it is used in the mash and the way it is not used due to the absence of a sparge. For example, if the water is on the higher end of ph it would result in a maltier profile from the mash but that same water would be more likely to extract tannins while sparging, which would produce a drier mouthfeel, so by skipping the sparge the beer would have that malty mash profile and none of the tannin extraction. Therefore, the brewer would produce a maltier beer by no-sparge brewing although the same results could be reached by adjusting the water profile and sparging.

I am happy enough with current processes that my curiosity does not reach the point where I care to experiment to find out. It could be a good experiment for the AHA grant program.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2014, 10:44:45 am »
I wonder whether the supposed increased maltiness from no-sparge is a function of a brewer's water supply and the way it is used in the mash and the way it is not used due to the absence of a sparge. For example, if the water is on the higher end of ph it would result in a maltier profile from the mash but that same water would be more likely to extract tannins while sparging, which would produce a drier mouthfeel, so by skipping the sparge the beer would have that malty mash profile and none of the tannin extraction. Therefore, the brewer would produce a maltier beer by no-sparge brewing although the same results could be reached by adjusting the water profile and sparging.

I am happy enough with current processes that my curiosity does not reach the point where I care to experiment to find out. It could be a good experiment for the AHA grant program.

My limited long ago experimentation caused me to conclude that both batch and no sparge beers may come out a bit maltier tasting than fly sparged beers, but there was no discernible difference between batch and no sparge.  That's why I settled on batch sparge.  I felt like I got the perceived flavor benefit and got better efficiency than no sparge.

www.dennybrew.com