Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whirlpool Hop Additions  (Read 1796 times)

Offline irob1992

• 1st Kit
Whirlpool Hop Additions
« on: December 26, 2014, 07:25:00 pm »
So I'm trying to follow a recipe that calls for a 90 min boil. It says to add one batch of hops at the start of the boil and one batch during the whirlpool phase.

Should I cool down my wort and then add hops and then whirlpool? Or do I add hops do the whirlpool and then chill my wort?

Is this basically just telling me that as soon as the 90 minutes are up add the second batch of hops?
Dreaming of my own solar powered brewery

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Whirlpool Hop Additions
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 07:31:54 pm »
I cool to 170F for my hop stand, but not having seen your recipe, I would just do it as written. I'm assuming the recipe intends for some of your IBUs to be picked up during the steep, which happens when you add the hops at flame out. I add all of my IBUs in the boil since you pick up few (if any) noticeable IBUs by adding hops at cooler temps. I say do it as written this time and see what you think.
Jon H.

Offline irob1992

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 07:49:42 pm »
I haven't brewed that much and am not that familiar with whirpooling in general. My recipe says:

"Total boil time is 90 min. Using only hop pellets, add 62.5% Columbus at the start of the boil, then add 37.5% Centennial during the whirlpool."

Its a recipe for a Stone Ruination clone, I've used different recipe's for the same beer before, but it never called for doing anything in the whirlpool stage. I've typically just gone with late hop additions before I cool the wort. But I was following a much more detailed hop schedule. This recipe seems like its for people who know what their doing a bit better than me haha.

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 08:39:27 pm »
Hell i would just throw those babies in at flame out and let it sit 10 or 15 min then crash cool.  You will be solid

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 09:50:04 pm »
%? No weights given?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 08:07:39 am »
Yeah I'm assuming the recipe was for 'IBUs' instead of '%'  (?)  Maybe. That's pretty vague.
Jon H.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 08:30:45 am »
%? No weights given?

Probably from Mitch Steele's IPA book. All of the recipes have percentages rather than weights. You have to calculate your weights based on AA and target IBUs.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2014, 08:40:54 am »
%? No weights given?

Probably from Mitch Steele's IPA book. All of the recipes have percentages rather than weights. You have to calculate your weights based on AA and target IBUs.

Ok, that makes sense. Regardless of the IBUs you target, you use the % of that number for boil and whirlpool. Don't believe I don't have that book yet.

EDIT  -  I've read and re-read Mitch's 'Ask The Experts' session here a bunch of times. Just need to get the book.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 09:16:50 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline irob1992

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2014, 10:24:59 am »
That's the exact book its from. I was actually going to post another thread asking how to use those percents haha!

I was thinking that the percentages were kind of vague too; which really surprised me because the rest of that book is damn detailed.

Thanks for the explanations, I've only brewed a few times but I can already feel myself becoming an addict!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2014, 10:26:46 am »

I've only brewed a few times but I can already feel myself becoming an addict!

You're in good company !
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 09:28:36 am »
That's the exact book its from. I was actually going to post another thread asking how to use those percents haha!

I was thinking that the percentages were kind of vague too; which really surprised me because the rest of that book is damn detailed.

Thanks for the explanations, I've only brewed a few times but I can already feel myself becoming an addict!
Percentages are the best way to describe recipes in a universal manner. This way everyone can adjust their grain bill based on their batch size and efficiency, and their hop bill based on utilization. All you need is the target OG and IBU's to figure everything out.

The only place percentages don't work very well is describing late additions for hops. That's because you need to account for both the IBU's gained (which could be substantial if you're referring to a commercial IPA), and for the flavor/aroma coming from the late hops. One way around that is to add all your IBU's at 60 minutes and add all your late hops after your wort is cooled to 170F or so so that you get negligible IBU's from them. But that's not necessarily going to get you the same beer - it's just going to make the numbers work out.

In the end, like most things in homebrewing, you just want to get yourself in the ballpark with your first shot at a recipe. From there, keep detailed notes and adjust to taste.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Black Sands Brewery & Supply

• Assistant Brewer
  • Head Brewer - Black Sands
    • Black Sands
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 01:30:57 pm »
So I'm trying to follow a recipe that calls for a 90 min boil. It says to add one batch of hops at the start of the boil and one batch during the whirlpool phase.

Should I cool down my wort and then add hops and then whirlpool? Or do I add hops do the whirlpool and then chill my wort?

Is this basically just telling me that as soon as the 90 minutes are up add the second batch of hops?

When hops are added at WP it is almost always on the hot side. After 90 min cut the heat toss in the hops and start stirring continuously for 10 min or so then chill.
Free recipes available for download on our website www.blacksandsbeer.com