Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My Helles  (Read 3009 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: My Helles
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2014, 07:51:29 pm »
Nice looking brew, makes a guy thirsty...
Make that 2! I like a nice helles. Does it finish dry? I find that if it finishes too sweet, it's hard to drink more than a pint or 2. I think that comes more from minerals in the water, rather than final gravity. I've a friend whose helles finished at the right final gravity, but is a bit sweet in the finish. Mine usually finish at the same gravities but finish drier, I think because I add a little more hardness to the water than he does maybe. I think he just added calcium chloride, whereas I usually add equal amounts of gypsum and calcium chloride. Either way, love the Best Malz pils character.

I agree, on the Best and the minerals too. I need to brew one - haven't brewed a Helles in a while.
Jon H.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2014, 04:28:53 am »
I know this will open things to debate, but I have found that with a Helles that a decoction (even just one) brings out a better flavor than simply using Melanoiden malt to get some melanoiden richness.  Has anyone else found this to be the case?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2014, 08:25:13 am »
I know this will open things to debate, but I have found that with a Helles that a decoction (even just one) brings out a better flavor than simply using Melanoiden malt to get some melanoiden richness.  Has anyone else found this to be the case?
I don't use Melanoiden or decoction...I guess I feel like I get enough maltiness out of just the malt and the right water additions. I don't want it to be crazy malty like a doppelbock, helles is supposed to be SUPER quaffable. Everyone here knows that.
As far as opening a debate, I don't think decoction is worth all the work. But that's apart of what this hobby is about, putting into it the amount of work you want.
But then again, I also think that I get enough hoppiness out of late addtions in the boil rather than dry hop, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, obviously...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 08:28:19 am by beersk »
Jesse

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2014, 09:25:05 am »

Nice looking brew, makes a guy thirsty...
Make that 2! I like a nice helles. Does it finish dry? I find that if it finishes too sweet, it's hard to drink more than a pint or 2. I think that comes more from minerals in the water, rather than final gravity. I've a friend whose helles finished at the right final gravity, but is a bit sweet in the finish. Mine usually finish at the same gravities but finish drier, I think because I add a little more hardness to the water than he does maybe. I think he just added calcium chloride, whereas I usually add equal amounts of gypsum and calcium chloride. Either way, love the Best Malz pils character.

Mine ends up at 1.012. I use avangard malts- 85% pils, 10% light Munich and 5% melanoidin. I use a balanced yellow and also use cal chloride, Epsom and gypsum.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2014, 06:37:20 pm »

For me, I've tried the decoction and couldn't pick up the difference. I use varying amounts of melanoidin and feel it works for many of my brews.
Best thing to do is perform decoction and see if you can perceive any difference or not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale