Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: mead in a beer competition  (Read 3210 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: mead in a beer competition
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2015, 07:43:44 am »
There's nothing wrong with gaming the system by entering a category that doesn't get as many entries and thereby increasing your chances.  We have very few cider makers in Florida so those categories have better odds, but we have a lot of mead makers, so the chances may be better in Dark Lagers than Meads.
Obviously there are many more entries in beer than in mead and cider.  Our statewide circuit applies the same number of points for each category winner, but mead and cider best of show only picks up one point as opposed to 3,2,1 for the three beer best of show winners.

Didn't Dennis Pierson take HOTY once?  If not, he came close and IIRC only with ciders?
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2015, 10:49:18 am »
There's nothing wrong with gaming the system by entering a category that doesn't get as many entries and thereby increasing your chances.  We have very few cider makers in Florida so those categories have better odds, but we have a lot of mead makers, so the chances may be better in Dark Lagers than Meads.
Obviously there are many more entries in beer than in mead and cider.  Our statewide circuit applies the same number of points for each category winner, but mead and cider best of show only picks up one point as opposed to 3,2,1 for the three beer best of show winners.

Didn't Dennis Pierson take HOTY once?  If not, he came close and IIRC only with ciders?

Yes, he won once or twice with a beer and all the rest were ciders.
This past year the HOTY for the Florida Circuit relied a lot on meads, but also had a lot of beer entries.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2015, 12:12:11 pm »
Ouch, I think my questions are misunderstood.  I insinuated nothing, just asked a question.  The interviewer on the BN asked the beer brewer/meadmaker if he switched over to entering just meads cause it was easier to win mead medals than it was to win beer medals or something along those lines.  I was trying to find out if it is a prevalent attitude among judges. 

Here is the link, maybe I just took it wrong,  time stamp 44:50-about 47:00

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/1168

Ah yes, it was misunderstood on my part. I read it as 'BN people insult mead makers and call it easy to make', which is not what you're saying. FWIW, I don't listen to the BN.

ANYWAY. I'm with udubdawg - who makes pretty dang good mead himself (even though it isn't sweet enough  ;)):

If you can make amazing mead I promise people don't think it is easy. 
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline ScottBeh

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2015, 04:48:12 pm »
Thanks all for chiming in.  Ive only been learning mead for about 100 gallons (time is irrelevant when dealing with mead) and I maybe misunderstood the interviewer.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2015, 05:46:36 pm »
I actually find it harder to medal consistently with meads than beer. Judges tend to be less familiar with mead judging and the results can be all over the spectrum.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2015, 07:14:08 am »
To the OP, here is a cross reference list. Where it says Mead Judge that is the only rank they hold, if it lists a rank they have both beer and mead credentials.
http://www.bjcp.org/apps/reports/meadjudge.php

So long as you use the link it should always be up to date. It does not include those exams being graded.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline ScottBeh

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2015, 08:18:46 am »
Thanks for digging up this link.  It will be interesting to watch how many beer comps have mead judges.  They are spread pretty thin it looks like.