Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 60 Minute mash?  (Read 3355 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: 60 Minute mash?
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2015, 10:43:07 am »
It fermented around 62-64. This is for 7 gallons, split between two 5 gallon kegs, a pack of US-05 pitched in each. OG ended up being 1.060, overshot by 8 points, whoopsie...
And for a thermometer I use a Thermopen.

5 lbs 4.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 38.53 %
5 lbs 4.0 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 38.53 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 9.17 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 9.17 %
10.0 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM)

Sorry to hijack, flbrewer...

I made a similar looking porter recently which got 70% attenuation with S04 compared to my normal ~78% or so. For some reason, I tend to get 8-10% less attenuation in darker beers and I don't know why. I keep my process and temps pretty much the same...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2015, 10:59:32 am »
It fermented around 62-64. This is for 7 gallons, split between two 5 gallon kegs, a pack of US-05 pitched in each. OG ended up being 1.060, overshot by 8 points, whoopsie...
And for a thermometer I use a Thermopen.

5 lbs 4.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 38.53 %
5 lbs 4.0 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 38.53 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 9.17 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 9.17 %
10.0 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM)

Sorry to hijack, flbrewer...

I made a similar looking porter recently which got 70% attenuation with S04 compared to my normal ~78% or so. For some reason, I tend to get 8-10% less attenuation in darker beers and I don't know why. I keep my process and temps pretty much the same...
My experience has been very much the same. The only reason I used vienna and pilsner for the base malts in this is because I was out of 2-row.
The only factor I can think of that I did differently is mashing higher. I was having similar underattenuation issues for a while, then I started mashing a bit lower and that seemed to go away. Still doesn't make much sense though. The last time I made this recipe, it was with Wy1084 and it came down to 1.016, which is about perfect for a dark beer like stout or porter, I think.
Jesse

Online Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2015, 10:06:16 am »
What are some factors for a less attenuable wort? I have a taddy porter (BCS recipe) sitting in the fermenter right now, mashed at 153 for an hour, that is still only at 1.021 after nearly 2 weeks. I used US-05, pitched dry, aerated with O2 for 60 seconds, and fermented in the 60's. Not to hijack the thread, but why would this beer underattenuate like this? I know it's only been like 12 days, but it should be pretty much done in that timeframe.
I had a similar issue with a rye porter that started at 1.053 and stopped at 1.022. I used S-33 which I'm pretty sure was not the issue, as the previous batch I used S-33 in went from 1.050 to1.010. I posted the recipe and Denny Conn pointed out to me that I had a large percentage of specialty grains that don't provide as much fermentableness.
The question now is, how does it taste? My rye porter is yummy.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2015, 10:30:20 am »
FWIW, I've gone to 90 min. mashes most of the time.  I get better conversion efficiency and prefer the beers.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2015, 10:57:28 am »
Steve, the porter tastes good, perhaps slightly on the sweet side, but that's fine for a taddy porter.

Denny, I think I'm going to start mashing lower and longer, or doing step mashes. I usually fare better when I do either of those. I just don't get it though. It seems like all kinds of people will mash at 154 for 60 minutes and their beer attenuates to 1.010 or whatever...I just don't know how.
Jesse

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2015, 11:27:02 am »
FWIW, I've gone to 90 min. mashes most of the time.  I get better conversion efficiency and prefer the beers.
I've gone to 75 minutes myself. Being a BIAB brewer with wide variations in mash thickness, that extra time has made my preboil efficiencies more consistent. I was seeing 5-8% differences in efficiency between my high and low-gravity beers with a 60 minute mash. Going up to 75 minutes brought my preboil efficiencies to the 80-82% range across the board. It makes life easier for me if I can simply follow one procedure for all my brews and get consistent results.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline BrewBama

60 Minute mash?
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2015, 11:52:36 am »
I think I am moving to a 90 min mash to see if I get an improvement for a few reasons: 1) One of the best beers I've brewed was because I ran out of propane while heating sparge water and had to run out for a fill. The result was a 90 min mash. 2) I often get lower than expected gravity points on first running and higher than expected on second running (batch sparge). Folks here suggested this is due to under conversion in the 60 min mash. This is probably due to my tap water being outside an optimum range because I know the temp and time. (I plan to get my water tested soon.)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 12:54:01 pm by BrewBama »

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2015, 12:26:49 pm »
We can definitely design a beer around a more fermentable wort. It just takes a brew or two to dial in the proper bittering balance. Underattenuated beers are one of the primary faults I find when judging homebrews. While having a thick and chewy beer can be satisfying, I find those beers are rarely enjoyable to the bottom of the glass or for a second glass. Having enough body along with an appropriately crisp or dry finish seems to create beers that can merit a second or third glass.

One thing that I've adopted from Mike McDole is to include a very small percentage of flaked wheat in my grists to enhance the body and mouthfeel of my beers. It works very well for me. Nice rocky heads.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks