Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: Paddle  (Read 2469 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Paddle
« on: December 27, 2014, 09:29:06 am »
Kindly suggest a paddle or perhaps a long plastic spoon that would be preferred for a budding all-grain brewer. My MT is a 10 gallon Igloo, I'll be doing 5 gallon and below batches for the foreseeable future. Thanks!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Paddle
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 09:33:38 am »
Jon H.

Offline dcb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Num, me vexo?
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 09:37:38 am »
This is the SS one I have:    http://shop.greatfermentations.com/product/stainless-steel-spoon-21-inch/basic-winemaking-equipment

I was just going to say this. I just have a 24" SS spoon.  It's easy to clean, sits in my long sanitizer tray, goes in the dishwasher, and I like having one piece of gear instead of two.   I've never seen the advantage of having  a separate plastic or wooden paddle when brewing at the scale we do. 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 09:41:43 am »
This is the SS one I have:    http://shop.greatfermentations.com/product/stainless-steel-spoon-21-inch/basic-winemaking-equipment

I was just going to say this. I just have a 24" SS spoon.  It's easy to clean, sits in my long sanitizer tray, goes in the dishwasher, and I like having one piece of gear instead of two.   I've never seen the advantage of having  a separate plastic or wooden paddle when brewing at the scale we do. 

Yeah, I bought a cool wooden mash paddle a long time ago from a guy who makes them. Except it was hard to use in my rectangular cooler. The SS spoon works much better.   
Jon H.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 11:20:29 am »
I've got a hand carved maple paddle a friend made and it's great. no problem with the cooler. It's only for the mash though so I can see the value of an SS spoon in terms of multitasking. The paddle is a nod to the 'coolness' factor admittedly. 
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 11:30:44 am »
I have one of the long plastic spoons they sell at homebrew shops. I rarely use but that's because I rarely brew batches that need something that big. Somewhere along the way I obtained a large SS slotted spoon for the kitchen that works extremely well in my smaller batches for both stirring the mash and the boil. When I do brew a five gallon batch that long spoon does a great job of scooping up the dry grain along the bottom edge of the cooler and making sure everything gets mixed up. I couldn't see one of those big wooden paddles doing as good of a job in a small cooler. I'd probably feel differently if I brewed 15+ gallon batches though.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 11:41:03 am »
I have a large stainless paddle that collects dust.  My "go to" is the long SS spoon.

Offline tommymorris

Paddle
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2014, 12:08:23 pm »
I have the 24" spoon mentioned above and a wooden mash paddle. The advantage of the wooden paddle is it looks cool on my wall. :)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2014, 12:10:54 pm »
I have the 24" spoon mentioned above and a wooden mash paddle. The advantage of the wooden paddle is it looks cool on my wall. :)

Looks cool on my wall, too!
Jon H.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 05:28:05 am »
I have this type: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/mash-paddle-doweled.html

Unlike most of the responses on this thread I actually use it in my cooler.  :)  It breaks ups the clumps of grains quicker than my SS spoon.  To each there own.  I could get by without it but it useful to have around.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2014, 06:32:58 am »
I want to update my answer. I have a 24" spoon and a wooden mash paddle. I use the wooden paddle for the mash tun. Before I got the paddle I used the spoon. They both work fine. I bought the wooden paddle because I wanted it, not, because I needed it. I really like seeing it hanging on the wall. It was worth the money just for that.

PS. I tell my kids it's a spanking stick. But, they don't believe me.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2014, 07:10:25 am »
I am a stainless spoon guy. Huge and cheap at restaurant supply joint

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2014, 07:33:31 am »
Find a restaurant supply store near you; they'll have tons of long SS spoons for short cash.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2014, 09:04:33 am »
I have this type: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/mash-paddle-doweled.html

Unlike most of the responses on this thread I actually use it in my cooler.  :)  It breaks ups the clumps of grains quicker than my SS spoon.  To each there own.  I could get by without it but it useful to have around.

Paul

I have the same one and use it mashing in ten gallon batches.  Works very well for me in modified kegs, but I can see how a spoon would work well in a shallower tun.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2014, 09:09:05 am »
Find a restaurant supply store near you; they'll have tons of long SS spoons for short cash.

Yes, I actually did this a couple of years ago. Since I already own one, I suppose the consensus is to keep using it!