Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What is it with mass produce beer...  (Read 5409 times)

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
Re: What is it with mass produce beer...
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2014, 02:20:05 pm »
My personal experience is that too much is ...well too much ;) However it seems like hangovers from homebrew are much less severe.  I, like others, attribute this to most homebrews being unfiltered and thus containing brewers yeast.  There was a story from Jim Koch (Samuel Adams) earlier in the year about how he actually takes brewers yeast capsules before he drinks to avoid getting drunk/hungover.  I am sure it affects everyone differently but I think he might be on to something.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2014, 02:44:54 pm »
Red Stripe is the only beer that gives me a headache within minutes of having one. I've always assumed I must be either allergic to the yeast or there are just enough bi-products or fusels to trigger a response.
Corona for me.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2014, 09:14:04 pm »
Red Stripe is the only beer that gives me a headache within minutes of having one. I've always assumed I must be either allergic to the yeast or there are just enough bi-products or fusels to trigger a response.
Corona for me.

Cobra Malt Liquor for me.

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2014, 09:21:22 pm »
Well from what i know Alcohol/Ethanol metabolism occurs somewhat like this no matter who makes the beer.  Around 5%  is absorbed in the GI tract and the rest travels through circulation. The lungs and kidneys get ride of around 10% of it resulting in more trips to the thrown which in turns leads to dehydration. Dehydration sucks and really affects the brain mostly. The other 85% or so of Ethanol is processed through the liver.  A few byproducts from the metabolism of ethanol by the liver that i know of are Acetaldehyde and radicals of some sort:) and high levels of acetaldehyde cause nausea and vomiting which in turn causes more Dehydration and loss of electrolytes. Fusel alcohols definitely doesnt help but it is definitely the result of Dehydration that cause that "hangover" So drink more WATER.
I can almost guarantee most are dehydrated even before we start drinking

so i agree to much is....well to much:)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 09:40:27 pm by quattlebaum »

Offline mbalbritton

• Cellarman
  • Tapatalk User
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2014, 09:29:55 am »
Yes, too much is too much. I'm just baffled that now after drinking primarily Homebrew for a year or 2 now, I seem to have almost zero tolerance for store bought beer.

I may have to run an experiment and try a local beer called Red Oak. It's unfiltered and they pride themselves on the Purity Law of 1516 when it comes to their brewing.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2014, 10:36:21 am »

And I like the think that most craft breweries out there are following this philosophy too, but unfortunately I know of some who don't. I, too, have suffered the dreaded craft beer hang over.  :(

I also find that Belgian beer generally cause me to get a head ache if I imbibe too much.

Yeah, I'm blown away by the 4 day story. I can't see any scenario that you get a great beer from that. I'll have a hefeweizen in the glass @ 2 weeks and that always feels fast.

There is a claim that 60 degree cone on fermenter is what makes your beer ferment faster. This is due better internal currents and sugars are more available to the yeast.

I can report that this is correct. Fermentation that took me 10-11 days in 45 degree cone takes about 6-7 days. With ability of spunding beer has better head retention

So the speed of the fermentation does not necessarily mean bad beer. Just my observation.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2014, 10:42:23 am »

And I like the think that most craft breweries out there are following this philosophy too, but unfortunately I know of some who don't. I, too, have suffered the dreaded craft beer hang over.  :(

I also find that Belgian beer generally cause me to get a head ache if I imbibe too much.

Yeah, I'm blown away by the 4 day story. I can't see any scenario that you get a great beer from that. I'll have a hefeweizen in the glass @ 2 weeks and that always feels fast.

There is a claim that 60 degree cone on fermenter is what makes your beer ferment faster. This is due better internal currents and sugars are more available to the yeast.

I can report that this is correct. Fermentation that took me 10-11 days in 45 degree cone takes about 6-7 days. With ability of spunding beer has better head retention

So the speed of the fermentation does not necessarily mean bad beer. Just my observation.

I didn't know that, Leos. In the end it's all about what the beer tastes like anyway. Good info !
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2014, 11:02:12 am »

I didn't know that, Leos. In the end it's all about what the beer tastes like anyway. Good info !

yeah thats good info. i might be getting one of those smaller conicals one day.

for ales at 4 days or so ok, but it's suspect on lagers following that schedule.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2014, 08:31:02 am »
Guess my lager ain't so bad finishing at under a month after all. ;)

http://www.al.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2014/12/10_beers_to_take_to_a_new_year.html

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2014, 08:37:58 am »

http://www.al.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2014/12/10_beers_to_take_to_a_new_year.html

Very cool !  Sounds like a really good beer.
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2014, 08:43:18 am »

Very cool !  Sounds like a really good beer.

I basically took my HellesBock recipe I have brewed for years, knocked the ABV down to 5.8% and made red with some cold soaked Midnight Wheat. It's the beer I drink the most of.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2014, 10:26:41 am »

I basically took my HellesBock recipe I have brewed for years, knocked the ABV down to 5.8% and made red with some cold soaked Midnight Wheat. It's the beer I drink the most of.

That's a great idea for a beer. I usually shy away from the amber/red (usually ale) beers at run of the mill breweries and brewpubs because they're often the gateway beer for people who don't drink much craft beer - bland and uninteresting usually(though there are some great ambers out there). But that sounds malty and something you'd want a few of.
Jon H.