Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rest Mash and Mash Out  (Read 5749 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Rest Mash and Mash Out
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2014, 04:18:05 pm »
I do. I use Kai's chart of gravity per qt/lb. I dont doubt that cold water works, but I'll stick with 170-190 since it also works and it has to get heated eventually.

Back to sugars in liquid not grain. What I mean to say is that the sugar is in the grain bed... its in the grain bed, right? And what you are saying is that in the wet grain bed, its in the wet, not the grain.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 04:27:10 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2014, 04:59:40 pm »
Scientifically, when at time zero two miscible liquids are combined with different concentrations of a solute, over time the solute will travel from an area of higher concentration to that of lower concentration until equilibrium is achieved.

In other words, the sugar is everywhere.  Inside, outside, USA.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2014, 08:13:56 pm »
I do a fast fly sparge/batch sparge with 165 degree sparge water.  I heat my mash up to about 160 or so by recirculating (manually with a small pot) my mash wort ...... direct fired mash tun.    I would say I recirculate for about 5 minutes to clear and heat the mash to 160ish.  I then sparge (via "sparge ring") and stir the top 1/2 of the grain bed and collect about 8 gallons of wort in about 10 minutes..... maybe 15 minutes tops.  The sparge never gets over 165 or so.  The grain bed never gets over 165.  I routinely get about 83-87% efficiency.  I start heating my boil kettle as soon as the bottom is covered with wort.  I would say from the time my 60 minute mash is done, until I have collected 8 gallons of wort is about 15 minutes, tops.