Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tropical session white ipa?  (Read 6996 times)

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
Tropical session white ipa?
« on: December 27, 2014, 09:50:00 pm »
It's in the July August 2013 issue in the session ipa article.  Has anyone brewed this original recipe and do you think rather then .5oz additions in the whirlpool I could up it to 1oz each recipe is in the pic any help or guidance on this recipe would be great thinking about brewing it next week some time while on my last week of vacation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dordway29

• Cellarman
Re: Tropical session white ipa?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 12:31:36 pm »
I don't think that would be a problem. Last spring I brewed something similar (not as much wheat). And I used Amarillo, Calypso and Galaxy. It was a 10 gallon batch with... I want to say 4oz of each at flame out.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 01:02:49 pm »
+1.  Getting all your hop flavor from the whirlpool addition, you could easily double the additions to 1 oz each and stand for 30-40 minutes. Personally I would use a little more but, not knowing how much hop character you like, I say use 1 oz each this time and you can adjust next time if you think it needs more. Anyway, you should report back how it comes out for you.  Good luck !
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 01:07:58 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 04:51:15 pm »
. Personally I would use a little more but, not knowing how much hop character you like,
Jon, check out the screen name for the OP. I think they could use more. ;D
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 05:00:27 pm »
. Personally I would use a little more but, not knowing how much hop character you like,
Jon, check out the screen name for the OP. I think they could use more. ;D

I saw it, but there are degrees of anything. Not every guy who brews IPA would use what I use and like it. I'd rather have him brew it again and use more than post his complaints that I had him brew 'hop tea'. Now having said that, if all my hop flavor came in the hop stand, I'd use 6 oz here .   ;)

EDIT -  Or more  :D
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 05:22:24 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
Tropical session white ipa?
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 05:30:27 pm »
Well the hoppier the better so might just have to do 2oz each in whirl pool and might dry hop it as well we will see and deffinitly will report back on this one now to figure out why day to get down to the LHBS
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 05:35:42 pm by hophead636 »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 05:32:37 pm »
There you go!  Try dry hopping 4 oz for a week at room temp and you'll have a nice hoppy one.
Jon H.

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 05:39:33 pm »
Which one would do better with an extra oz?  Was thinking oz of the three in the whirlpool but I do love some citra

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 05:44:55 pm »
Which one would do better with an extra oz?  Was thinking oz of the three in the whirlpool but I do love some citra

2 oz of each in the whirlpool, 1.33 of each to dry hop. Or whatever combo of those 3 late hops sounds good to you. It'll be good!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 05:53:15 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 06:49:35 pm »
Sweet will post back when I buy the ingredients and brew this mouth watering session up

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 12:32:44 pm »
Well because of funds and needing a 1000ml flask I ended up getting two oz each of the flame out additions so thinking of doing 1.5oz whirlpool of each and .5oz each for 7 day dry hop getting a flask and smaller stir bar where on top of my list when I went to the LHBS so think it will still be a nice fruity brew

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2015, 07:53:50 pm »
San Diego super yeast on the stir plate

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2015, 08:08:05 pm »
Suggestion, take it or leave it.  Ditch the critter and mold harboring foam stopper for fresh aluminum foil each batch.

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2015, 08:32:48 pm »
Yea I was thinking about that alittle bit of the yeast when pouring out of the vial hit the side of my flask and I was worrying about that,  thanks for the heads up and guidance like I said my first madden voyage with a flask and stir plate so wasn't sure if maybe the foam was needed or not.  Use to just make starters in mason jars with alum over the top with the walk by and give it a shake lol,  this is so much easier and no worrys except I need to space my lid up just a hair to keep from the flask weight and the magnet trying to come together but other then that she is running like a dream.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2015, 08:35:44 pm »
Yea I was thinking about that alittle bit of the yeast when pouring out of the vial hit the side of my flask and I was worrying about that,  thanks for the heads up and guidance like I said my first madden voyage with a flask and stir plate so wasn't sure if maybe the foam was needed or not.  Use to just make starters in mason jars with alum over the top with the walk by and give it a shake lol,  this is so much easier and no worrys except I need to space my lid up just a hair to keep from the flask weight and the magnet trying to come together but other then that she is running like a dream.
I wouldn't worry about it too much, but will save you from having to boil that stopper all the time.  Also, nice job on the DIY project.