Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Immersion Chiller  (Read 1804 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Immersion Chiller
« on: December 28, 2014, 02:38:06 pm »
For the folks here using immersion chillers, I have a quick question. I see some of them marketed with vinyl hoses  and one brass adapter like these.....http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/brewing-equipment/wort-chillers/immersion-chillers/standard-chiller-3-8-x25-with-vinyl-tubing.html
Are these only for use in a kitchen sink type faucet?

Then I see these http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/brewing-equipment/wort-chillers/immersion-chillers/xl-immersion-chiller.html with obvious hose fittings.

If I plan on using the chiller in conjunction with an outdoor garden hose, could I use either or only the second one linked?

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Immersion Chiller
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 02:45:50 pm »
Both descriptions say they have garden hose connections. I use one with the vinyl hose. I am not sure the intended use case for the one without vinyl.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 03:10:49 pm »
Either will work fine. You might get slightly better flow rate from the chiller without the vinyl tubing, but I imagine it would be marginal.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 03:42:29 pm »
Good point Steve. Confirmed with a swell chap from NB that either will work.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 10:03:10 am »
If you're hose connection leaks (mine always does), the one with vinyl tubing will leak on the floor/ground. The other might leak in the wort.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Stevie

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 10:09:05 am »
If you're hose connection leaks (mine always does), the one with vinyl tubing will leak on the floor/ground. The other might leak in the wort.
An easy fix here is to add brass quick connects to the hose fittings. Cost about $2.50 per side at Lowes/Home Depot. I used thread tape when adding the fittings and double check them as I start the boil. I have been extremely happy with them. Tightening down fittings on a 200+ degree wort chiller sucks.

Offline M-O-O-N That spells beer!

• Assistant Brewer
  • South Jersey
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 08:34:49 am »
I haven't had my first brew day but working on it, just making sure that I have all the necessities.
I have a 3/8" copper immersion chiller with 3/8"x1/2" tubing.
Is there any way that I can convert this into quick disconnects, so that I can attach the hoses after I move the hot wort toward the utility sink? Pictures?
Na zdrowie!