Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: PTC petrception and beer preference  (Read 3951 times)

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
PTC petrception and beer preference
« on: May 04, 2010, 07:31:06 am »
On Sunday we went to the Museum of Science in Boston and there was an exhibit where they give you a PTC test strip for tasting. It is a simple test to see if you have a trait that allows you to perceive PTC as bitter. Most people (about 75%) can’t taste it but it did taste bitter to me. To my surpise my wife did not taste anything at all even though she thinks even the least bitter beers are too bitter for her.  Here is a nice link: http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/begin/traits/ptc/

Though I don’t think I’m a super taster it may explain why I don’t like overly bitter beers and why I tend to prefer more balanced or malty beers. Yes, I do love a good IPA, but the east coast or English styles which are lower in bitterness.

Has anybody else here done this test?

Kai

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: PTC petrception and beer preference
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 09:27:52 am »
Nope, I haven't done it and I have to admit to being ignorant of what PTC is.  I'll take a look at the link you provided.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 01:46:35 pm »
Has anybody else here done this test?

I remember doing it in our 6th grade science class. That was awhile ago, but I don't think I was one of the people who could taste it.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline bo_gator

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 02:05:05 pm »
Nope, I haven't done it and I have to admit to being ignorant of what PTC is.  I'll take a look at the link you provided.
Me neither and I fail to remember PCP tasting like anything
All views expressed in the above post are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of any other member of the AHA, BJCP, or home brew community at large.   

Home Brew’s curmudgeon at large

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 02:39:03 pm »
Likewise about doing this PTC test as a child with no remembrance of the results or its significance.

In regards to beer, there's the often-mentioned variability in people's abililty to detect diacetyl (aroma and flavor).

But it got me thinking:  are there different genes for receptors for sweetness, particularly the artificial sweetners (e.g., saccharin-Nutrasweet, aspartame-Equal, sucralose--Splenda, and all the others like stevia or xylitol)? 
I suspect that there are.  For example, I simply cannot stand the taste of Nutrasweet due to the extreme bitterness.

I also struggle sometimes with Munich malts (e.g., Maibocks) as being overly sweet, while other BJCP judges simply call it "malty."

Does anyone else have insight into this?

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 03:08:43 pm »
Me neither and I fail to remember PCP tasting like anything

;)...see, that's why ya don't remember!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 03:10:31 pm »
I haven't taken this test. I remember hearing about it many years ago but never followed up on it. I will have to keep a lookout for it.
Ron Price

Offline fatdogale

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 06:44:15 pm »
Hey, check out the last name of one of the Additional Resources authors at the end of the article Kai linked to:

Bierwort, L.

John Childs