Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First Weizenbock  (Read 3606 times)

Offline brewday

• Brewer
Re: First Weizenbock
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2014, 04:31:04 pm »
I cool to a couple degrees below target and pitch, then set the Ranco where I want to ferment. The fermometer temp is usually no more than a degree off where I'm set on the controller. I'm usually at the low end of most fermentation ranges and it works reliably.

Yep, same here.  If I'm trying to do something really specific I may set it 1 degree below with a 1 degree diff, but regardless it's reliable with minimal cycling.

Offline breweite

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2015, 03:05:50 pm »
Bump - What about starters?  I plan on using RO water for my starters in the future, however, before this thread I made a 3711 starter with regular ol' tap water.  Any problems with this?
Cheers from Austin, Tejas!

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2015, 03:18:36 pm »
I use tap water for my starters
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Stevie

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2015, 05:30:24 pm »

+1 - I use tap water run through a brita pitcher. Takes a while when I am making large starters.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2015, 08:18:02 pm »
I think there's a potential for excessive mineral content in the starter, but keep in mind the size of the starter vs. what you're pitching it into.  I've done both and don't have issues either way with the starter.  I also filter chlorine for any water heading into my beer.

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2015, 09:02:01 pm »
For your fermentation probe you could make a old white labs vial into a mini control for your probe temp drill hole in the lid for the probe to fit in then fill the vial with water and the probe will read what the temp of fluid is rather then the chamber and the glass of the carboy. I am in the process of building my chamber and this is what I was thinking of doing so I have no personal experience with this but have read this a couple places

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2015, 06:27:53 am »

+1 - I use tap water run through a brita pitcher. Takes a while when I am making large starters.

should have clarified- my tap water is well water run through whole house carbon filtration.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2015, 06:34:22 am »
For your fermentation probe you could make a old white labs vial into a mini control for your probe temp drill hole in the lid for the probe to fit in then fill the vial with water and the probe will read what the temp of fluid is rather then the chamber and the glass of the carboy. I am in the process of building my chamber and this is what I was thinking of doing so I have no personal experience with this but have read this a couple places
This is a good idea, the problem is that active fermentation causes an exothermic reaction. The water in the tube will be well below the temp of the beer. It would be better to tape the probe to the side of the fermentor under a peice of insulation, like foam. Better yet is a thermal well in the beer with the probe in the well.

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2015, 09:49:42 am »
True never thought of that guess I woln't be doing that when I get around to building my chamber lol