Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermentation Chamber  (Read 2983 times)

Offline JayMiranda

• Cellarman
    • CaliforniaCastaway
Fermentation Chamber
« on: January 19, 2016, 01:47:40 am »
Came across this online.
Using a mini fridge, taking the door off to build a fermentation chamber
Anyone have one and possibly their own version write up that they'd like to share  ;D
http://www.nchomebrewing.com/diy-mini-fridge-beer-fermentation-chamber-build/
JayMiranda
CaliforniaCastaway

Offline cempt1

• Cellarman
Re: Fermentation Chamber
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 04:13:42 am »
I like it!  I have a chest freezer chamber but was wanting another chest freezer to make a keezer.  I could make one of these and use my current freezer for the keezer.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline JayMiranda

• Cellarman
    • CaliforniaCastaway
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 04:18:59 am »
I like it!  I have a chest freezer chamber but was wanting another chest freezer to make a keezer.  I could make one of these and use my current freezer for the keezer.

I was thinking the same.. I want both a keggerator and a ferm. Chamber.
With this build I would be extending the space. Would it be crazy to use one side for a 5gal glass carboy and the other for a corny keg and add tap handles.
JayMiranda
CaliforniaCastaway

Offline cempt1

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 04:29:18 am »
If you are thinking of using the same chamber for both, I would think you would be serving warm beer if your fermenting a saison or ramping your temp up for a diacytl rest.  But, on the otherhand, could you use the same idea for a kegerator?

Offline JayMiranda

• Cellarman
    • CaliforniaCastaway
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 04:34:52 am »
If you are thinking of using the same chamber for both, I would think you would be serving warm beer if your fermenting a saison or ramping your temp up for a diacytl rest.  But, on the otherhand, could you use the same idea for a kegerator?

Good point.
So let's scratch the ferm chamber And just make it a kegerator? I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as its all sealed properly right.
What do you think?
JayMiranda
CaliforniaCastaway

Offline cempt1

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 04:41:22 am »
Not sure.  That would be a much larger volume to cool than the compressor would be designed for. But it wouldn't be opened very often so it shouldn't loose very much cool (gain heat).  It would be nice to know someone else did it successfully before investing the time and materials.

Offline JayMiranda

• Cellarman
    • CaliforniaCastaway
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 04:55:11 am »
Not sure.  That would be a much larger volume to cool than the compressor would be designed for. But it wouldn't be opened very often so it shouldn't loose very much cool (gain heat).  It would be nice to know someone else did it successfully before investing the time and materials.

True.
I posted this question along with some pics onto the general discussion board. Let's hope we get some answers.
Thanks alot.
JayMiranda
CaliforniaCastaway

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 10:21:07 am »
Came across this online.
Using a mini fridge, taking the door off to build a fermentation chamber
Anyone have one and possibly their own version write up that they'd like to share  ;D
http://www.nchomebrewing.com/diy-mini-fridge-beer-fermentation-chamber-build/
I'm guessing that this build works poorly and may not work AT ALL.  Most mini-fridges use the sheet metal on the sides and top to radiate/transfer the heat from the condenser to the atmosphere.  From the pictures, it looks like top and most of the sides are covered in insulated plywood effectively putting the heat radiator inside the chamber.  Not gonna work.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 10:23:20 am by Philbrew »
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 05:46:44 am »
I don't want to get into any conflict on my first post, but using the solid walls/top of a fridge sounds incredibly inefficient.  The fridge shown in the link looks like what we would call an under-counter fridge in the UK, and these have a radiator at the back like most other fridges.  I do agree that the design may stress the compressor though, but I guess it depends where it's sited.  If it's not having to do a lot of cooling, then it's probably OK.
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline f.stepanski

• 1st Kit
  • I'm a beer drinker with a woodturning problem
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 08:09:19 am »
I bought a mini Danby refrigerator, removed the door and built a wooden skirt (a box with 4 sides and no top or bottom) the silicon glued it to the face then re-attached door to wood skirt.  I also added/attached one of those thermal under tank heaters (8" x 18") to apply heat when required.  I now can heat or cool by either plugging in fridge or heat pad to the temp controller.  I place the temp sensor up against the side of my carboy.   http://imgur.com/E8F5gLJ
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 08:13:01 am by f.stepanski »
Black IPA & Hefeweizen on draft, fermenting an APA...

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 09:36:35 am »
I bought a mini Danby refrigerator, removed the door and built a wooden skirt (a box with 4 sides and no top or bottom) the silicon glued it to the face then re-attached door to wood skirt.  I also added/attached one of those thermal under tank heaters (8" x 18") to apply heat when required.  I now can heat or cool by either plugging in fridge or heat pad to the temp controller.  I place the temp sensor up against the side of my carboy.   http://imgur.com/E8F5gLJ
Great idea.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 08:58:56 am »
I don't want to get into any conflict on my first post, but using the solid walls/top of a fridge sounds incredibly inefficient.  The fridge shown in the link looks like what we would call an under-counter fridge in the UK, and these have a radiator at the back like most other fridges.  I do agree that the design may stress the compressor though, but I guess it depends where it's sited.  If it's not having to do a lot of cooling, then it's probably OK.
I recently built a kegerator out of a mini-fridge.  I looked at a dozen or so makes and models at Sears, Walmart and Home Depot.  None had the radiator at the back like a normal fridge.  I bought a Danby online, also no radiator.  After it ran for a while, I noticed that the sheet metal on the sides and across the top near the front were warm to the touch.  There is a reason they all come in flat black.

Offline davidw

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 11:48:02 am »
Well, it appears he built this almost 3 years ago, maybe someone should leave a question to see how well it has worked and whether or not the compressor gave out?
"The intriguing situation about brewing, on the other hand, is that mechanisms are theoretically possible, and the real key to success is the ability to identify those that are genuinely relevant in any particular situation."

~ George Fix : Introduction, Principles of Brewing Science

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 04:22:42 am »
I recently built a kegerator out of a mini-fridge.  I looked at a dozen or so makes and models at Sears, Walmart and Home Depot.  None had the radiator at the back like a normal fridge.  I bought a Danby online, also no radiator.  After it ran for a while, I noticed that the sheet metal on the sides and across the top near the front were warm to the touch.  There is a reason they all come in flat black.

Fair enough, still sounds like a horribly inefficient way of dispersing the heat, never seen that over here though.  Rarely see black fridges either.
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2016, 10:04:12 am »

Fair enough, still sounds like a horribly inefficient way of dispersing the heat, never seen that over here though.  Rarely see black fridges either.
I think that you are absolutely correct.  Using the side sheet metal to radiate condenser heat would not work very well for a full size fridge or even a half size, under counter model.  The area of the sides relative to the interior volume (4 cu. ft.) of a mini-fridge, however, is plenty for heat radiation and it's cheap.  Those things are built to a price.  At least the ones we get over here.  :)