Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: K97 & S189  (Read 8737 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: K97 & S189
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2014, 01:49:56 pm »
I was doing some experiments with S-189 about a year ago and found it tended to finish a touch higher than my standard lager yeast at the same dough in temp. To achieve the same attenuation with S-189 (and the dryness I liked in my lagers) I needed to mash a little lower and a little longer.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2014, 05:38:29 pm »
Great news!  I LOVE S-189!
Me too. I recently bought five packs from Atlantic Brew Supply. Having it show up in home brew sizes at my local would be very nice.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2014, 05:41:30 pm »
Does anyone have enough experience with both S-189 and 34/70 to compare the two? Is one better for fuller, maltier styles or for crisp, dry styles?
Last winter I brewed a pilsner with the 34/70 and got 84% attenuation, and a marzen with the S-189 and got 78% attenuation. Both turned out real good and I will be using both again.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2014, 09:44:11 am »
Doing my first lager with 34/70 as we speak. It is a dark lager very similar to a schwarzbier. Luckily it is 6F outside right now so I shouldn't have any issues getting ferment temp down. Probably going to run it around 55F.

From the sounds of it, I would prefer this to 189 for most styles. I am excited to give the K97 a shot for various styles...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline unmaltedcheese

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2015, 11:52:28 am »
So a follow up to this thread...and a year later they still have not released these yeasts for retail sale. It's puzzling to me as they're already being produced in 500g sachets, so I'm not sure what the delay is all about.

Are these being produced in 11.5g sachets, or is just the repacked 500g packs all that's available? I cannot find them anywhere. 
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 11:54:55 am by unmaltedcheese »

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2015, 12:02:17 pm »
So a follow up to this thread...and a year later they still have not released these yeasts for retail sale. It's puzzling to me as they're already being produced in 500g sachets, so I'm not sure what the delay is all about.

Are these being produced in 11.5g sachets, or is just the repacked 500g packs all that's available? I cannot find them anywhere.

My LHBS has both on their shelves in 11.5g sachets - I have K97 in my fridge as I type. They have definitely been released, but just barely.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2015, 01:50:25 pm »
I was notified by a retailer last week that they would be stocking them. Yakima Valley hops has told me they should be available through them shortly as well. Just starting to pop up...

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2015, 04:32:25 pm »
I just ordered both from Atlantic Brew Supply.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2016, 02:12:52 pm »
Austin Homebrew has both of these in 11.5 g packets. I came across them just browsing. Its very exciting to see more and more dry yeasts available. I have tried a few but the only lager strain I have used a lot and come to know is the Bohemian Lager in both liquid and dry. Mangrove Jacks Bohemian lager was pretty good bith for lager and used at ale temps. Is 34/70 the Bohemian Lager as well?

I love the Bohemian Lager but looking for something a little different I am thinking about trying the S-189. And theK-97...that opens up some styles I have yet to try. I have heard good things about both.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2016, 07:16:35 am »
Austin Homebrew has both of these in 11.5 g packets. I came across them just browsing. Its very exciting to see more and more dry yeasts available. I have tried a few but the only lager strain I have used a lot and come to know is the Bohemian Lager in both liquid and dry. Mangrove Jacks Bohemian lager was pretty good bith for lager and used at ale temps. Is 34/70 the Bohemian Lager as well?

I love the Bohemian Lager but looking for something a little different I am thinking about trying the S-189. And theK-97...that opens up some styles I have yet to try. I have heard good things about both.

From what I remember, 34/70 is the same strain as WY2124 and WLP830. It's the only lager yeast I have used with my limited experience and like it a lot. I have not been able to discern much of a difference between US05 and K97 other than flocculation but that may have a lot to do with what styles I have used it in.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2016, 12:11:35 pm »
Farmhouse Brewing Supply has S-189 in stock now as well. That was a pleasant surprise when I was browsing the other day. I will be giving this yeast a go here soon.
Jesse

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2016, 02:07:30 pm »
Farmhouse Brewing Supply has S-189 in stock now as well. That was a pleasant surprise when I was browsing the other day. I will be giving this yeast a go here soon.

Seems that most places are stocking these now. S-189 is the most expensive yeast I have seen with some retailers selling it for over $6 per sachet.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2016, 02:09:45 pm »

Seems that most places are stocking these now. S-189 is the most expensive yeast I have seen with some retailers selling it for over $6 per sachet.
I know, it's insane! It's almost not worth it to get dry yeast for the convenience anymore.
Jesse

The Beerery

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2016, 09:04:29 am »
I just can't get a dry lager yeast to give me the save flavors of a nice german strain (833,838, 2206, etc).  I have tried them all.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2016, 03:46:53 pm »

I know, it's insane! It's almost not worth it to get dry yeast for the convenience anymore.

Well, convenience and price are two different things. Remember that with a dry yeast you are getting a pitchable quantity. Also, you are getting longer shelf life. Then, you are getting the convenience of using it at a moment's notice, no starter. If you are buying online, dry yeast tolerates shipping better.

As far as price goes, if both dry and liquid are the same price, I would suggest that you're getting more for your buck with the dry yeast.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'