Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How best to lager  (Read 2168 times)

Offline DW

• Assistant Brewer
How best to lager
« on: January 03, 2015, 08:28:04 pm »
So the primary fermentation is done on my bock, which is now around 7.2%.  Can I lager it under CO2?  Is there a difference between lagering under pressure or not?  I was gonna transfer off the yeast cake into a keg and go ahead and start carbonating at lager temps?  Does this work or should I hold off pressuring it? 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: How best to lager
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 08:31:32 pm »
I lager as I carb every time. No worries.
Jon H.

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 09:43:08 pm »

same here
-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 06:32:11 am »
+1
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 07:07:16 am »
I don't think it matters but I admit I like to lager while the beer is still. I'm superstitious. And something I seem to remember reading somewhere sometime that the yeast will clear faster with lower co2 levels.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 07:47:35 am »
I don't think it matters but I admit I like to lager while the beer is still. I'm superstitious. And something I seem to remember reading somewhere sometime that the yeast will clear faster with lower co2 levels.

so this makes me think- the term lager used here and the actual schedule. I don't start dropping the temps from 62F until day 12. every 12 hours thereafter I drop 5F until reaching 30F - day 16-17. its then i rack to keg and then i start the carbonation.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline DW

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 08:04:05 am »
Interesting thoughts.  It sounds like most people will go ahead and carb.  Honestly, in the past I have always lagered still.  Sounds good.  Thanks

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 10:49:01 am »

You're welcome to your superstitions, but I haven't found it to be true in my experience.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 10:50:21 am »

so this makes me think- the term lager used here and the actual schedule. I don't start dropping the temps from 62F until day 12. every 12 hours thereafter I drop 5F until reaching 30F - day 16-17. its then i rack to keg and then i start the carbonation.

IMO, you're making more work for yourself than you need to.  I wait til fermentation is complete and them just crash to lagering temp.  It works equally well and is much easier.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Black Sands Brewery & Supply

• Assistant Brewer
  • Head Brewer - Black Sands
    • Black Sands
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 11:30:56 am »
So the primary fermentation is done on my bock, which is now around 7.2%.  Can I lager it under CO2?  Is there a difference between lagering under pressure or not?  I was gonna transfer off the yeast cake into a keg and go ahead and start carbonating at lager temps?  Does this work or should I hold off pressuring it?

I'd say its just preference. But in my commercial experience we'd always lager the beer still then only start carbing the beer when it's ready to be packaged. With that said we can carb 90 bbls in an 1-2 hours so... It's a lot faster than how we do it when home brewing.

Put it in the keg hit it w/ some co2 and purge out any o2 w/ the PRV then lager in the keg for however long maybe a week or two. Then start to carb it...
Free recipes available for download on our website www.blacksandsbeer.com

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 12:12:52 pm »
I'm one week into fermentation on a pair of Munich Helles'. Pitched at 48, with temp set at 50. 4 days in I noticed a slight slow down in airlock activity so I started a slow walk up I in temp. They are at 54º now. I'll take a gravity reading next weekend and if im at about 75% of the way there I will start walking up to D rest. When they are all done im going to do a one time temp drop (cold crash) to 33º. Hold that for a couple weeks then keg. They'll get carbed and sit at 35º for a couple months. Tap them around garden tilling time.

Cold crashing... I used to do this routinely with every beer and was convinced it was great until a podcaster mentioned that he had read some study... so I quit. Frankly I found no increase in quality by slowly reducing the temp. Then I heard the same podcaster talking about how to make sour beer and it was pretty clear that he didnt really know what he was talking about. Admitted it, but gave an answer anyway... it kind of calls into question the previous cold crashing "study".

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 01:32:35 pm »
Cold crashing... I used to do this routinely with every beer and was convinced it was great until a podcaster mentioned that he had read some study... so I quit. Frankly I found no increase in quality by slowly reducing the temp. Then I heard the same podcaster talking about how to make sour beer and it was pretty clear that he didnt really know what he was talking about. Admitted it, but gave an answer anyway... it kind of calls into question the previous cold crashing "study".
I know exactly what/who you're referring to. Even though I've learned quite a bit from the aforementioned podcaster, and brewed many of his recipes, he sets off my "BS alarm" pretty often. I now take most of his recommendations with a grain of salt until I can test them myself.

I think the specific suggestion was that yeast can produce off-flavors due to thermal stress if crashed too fast. I also believe the recommendation was to stay above something like 35 or 40F when crashing. Personally, I've never had a problem with going from room temp down to 30F as fast as possible. But I'm pretty sure my yeast is all finished up before I start crashing, since I usually take my time and do a D-rest for 2-3 days whether its needed or not. Maybe it's different in a commercial setting.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2015, 01:48:44 pm »
I know exactly what/who you're referring to. Even though I've learned quite a bit from the aforementioned podcaster, and brewed many of his recipes, he sets off my "BS alarm" pretty often. I now take most of his recommendations with a grain of salt until I can test them myself.

I think the specific suggestion was that yeast can produce off-flavors due to thermal stress if crashed too fast. I also believe the recommendation was to stay above something like 35 or 40F when crashing. Personally, I've never had a problem with going from room temp down to 30F as fast as possible. But I'm pretty sure my yeast is all finished up before I start crashing, since I usually take my time and do a D-rest for 2-3 days whether its needed or not. Maybe it's different in a commercial setting.
I've learned a ton there too, including lately learning not to put much weight on a single data point based on a study that they can't remember what the source is. Its all good, just have to test things before trusting.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2015, 02:46:04 pm »

I've learned a ton there too, including lately learning not to put much weight on a single data point based on a study that they can't remember what the source is. Its all good, just have to test things before trusting.

Good advice for homebrewing anyway.  And I'm familiar with that podcast, too - agreed.
Jon H.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2015, 10:28:33 pm »
IMO the early shows were way better; before 70% of the show was advertisement.