Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: what type of yeast to use with a chocolate malt barley  (Read 1073 times)

Offline chibubu

• 1st Kit
what type of yeast to use with a chocolate malt barley
« on: December 29, 2014, 11:01:33 pm »
Hi! I am completely new to the homebrew beer community, and I am thinking of brewing with chocolate malt barley and I am wondering if I need to use a certain kind of yeast with the chocolate malt barley? If so, which one do I use?

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
what type of yeast to use with a chocolate malt barley
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 06:46:22 am »
Do you mean you are using nothing but Choc Malt? If that's the case, i believe you're gonna need a base malt.

Choc Malt is a flavor and color ingredient. It is not as fermentable because the kilning process destroys some of the enzymes that convert starch to sugar.

Base malts include 2 row, 6 row, Maris Otter, etc. they are the malts that ferment best because the enzyme that converts starch to sugar has not been destroyed during the kiln process.

This explains it better than I can: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/101/malts/

To answer your question, the yeast you use will impart flavors and characteristics for the style you are aiming for. In other words if you are brewing a Porter there are yeasts that help make it a Porter like WYEAST 1728. A Stout would use a yeast typicle of that style like WYEAST 1332. These are not the only options for these styles. There are many options in yeast each bringing different pros and cons.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 07:14:18 pm by BrewBama »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: what type of yeast to use with a chocolate malt barley
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 07:03:38 am »
Yes, this is a very open ended question. There are all types of yeasts that can be used. It depends what type of beer you want to make. Chocolate malts are called chocolate malts because of the lighter color kiln as opposed to roasted malts. They do tend to have some chocolate flavor as well as other roasted flavors like coffee, etc.

A good beer to start with would be a porter. I'm assuming you are an extract brewer so look around for a good extract porter. recipe (but in the same sentence I will warn you to be wary of recipes you find on the internet!)  Now, if you want to make an English porter, use an English yeast. For a cleaner porter use an American yeast. If you want to make a Belgian beer you will use a Belgian yeast.

That's a very simple and straight forward approach for a new brewer. Good luck and let us know what you come up with.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 07:05:24 am by majorvices »