Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Nottingham Ale Yeast Temperature Control Question  (Read 1665 times)

Offline scotts87

• 1st Kit
Nottingham Ale Yeast Temperature Control Question
« on: December 27, 2014, 02:49:01 pm »
Hello!

I am brand new to all this, and for Xmas I got my wish, and Santa brought me a full home-brew kit, along with a relatively easy first kit of American Amber ale. My concern is the condition of the yeast. Its probably been under the tree for about 3 weeks at room temp, and who knows how long before that. The directions on the label say to store "41-50F". Now I could toss this into the fridge, but my fridge is a frosty 33-34F like most typical fridges.

So my question is, am I better off leaving it my room temperature of 69-71F, or storing it at the colder 34F? Its a bit of a moot point, since it's probably going to be brewed up here in a few days. But I was just checking out of curiosity, and for future reference. Oh by the way, the expiration date is 2-2016, so it seems to me that this is a pretty fresh pack. Thanks!

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Nottingham Ale Yeast Temperature Control Question
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 02:59:32 pm »
It will turn out fine.  Best to store your yeast in the fridge, even if just a few days, but if you do plan to brew in a few days then it really barely matters at all.  No worries.  Go make some homebrew!
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 03:33:22 pm »
Dry yeast can be stored in one's freezer without harming the culture.

Offline scotts87

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 06:19:00 pm »
Thanks for the responses, I will chill my yeast until I am ready. I think I need a few more pieces of my kit before getting started, so I will probably tackle next week.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 07:08:58 am »
All my dry is stored in the fridge.  If you still need to pick up some supplies, consider picking up a couple packets of Nottingham and maybe some US-05 to keep on hand.  I usually have those and a couple others always on hand for emergencies, last minutes brews, my forgetfulness, etc. 

Welcome to the hobby!!
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 11:50:37 am »
Dry yeast can be stored in one's freezer without harming the culture.
Thanks for the tip. I always suspected that, since I keep my cheese cultures there, but never knew for sure.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer