Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Avangard Pilsen Malt Acidity  (Read 1605 times)

Offline hoprod

• 1st Kit
Avangard Pilsen Malt Acidity
« on: January 06, 2015, 09:09:33 am »
I'm curious to see if anyone else who has used Avangard Pils malt has experienced a lower predicted mash pH than expected via a program such as Bru'n Water.  The last two beers I've made, one of which 2/3 of the grist was Avangard Pils and the other which was 100% except for some acidulated malt, had a measured pH of .2 (at 2/3 of grist) - .3 (at 100% of grist) lower than my Bru'n Water calculations estimated.

I know this is a documented phenomenon with Rahr base malts, but curious if anyone else has had this experience.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Avangard Pilsen Malt Acidity
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 10:26:42 am »
The bag of Rahr I bought had a tag that said it made wort of 3.5 SRM, so it is more like a Vienna as far as acidity. Martin had noted that is should be entered around 3.5 or 4 L in Bru'nwater IIRC.

The Pils I brewed with Avangard came a little darker than expected (can't remember pH). You might want to do a mini-mash and compare the wort SRM to another pils malt, or use a color card if you have one.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jweiss206

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 10:36:16 am »
I haven't checked the PH the two times I've used it as the base malt in my cream ale, but the best efficiency I've ever achieved was when using the Avangaard Pilsen. No idea if it's related.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 11:41:40 am »
I haven't checked the PH the two times I've used it as the base malt in my cream ale, but the best efficiency I've ever achieved was when using the Avangaard Pilsen. No idea if it's related.

My beers have come out with higher OG than expected with this malt, a few points. Others have reported the same on various forums.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 11:49:18 am »

My beers have come out with higher OG than expected with this malt, a few points. Others have reported the same on various forums.

+2.  I've been a few points high every time with Avangard pils.
Jon H.

Offline hoprod

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 12:30:32 pm »

+2.  I've been a few points high every time with Avangard pils.

Same here.  Despite a mash pH that was around 5.0 measured by my Milwaukee meter instead of my predicted 5.3 via Bru'n Water, I still got great efficiency.