Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: water  (Read 1457 times)

Offline jrhomebrewing

• Cellarman
water
« on: February 15, 2015, 06:04:59 pm »
I have 10 lbs of grain how much water do I mash with and sprague? How do figure out the amount of water?

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Re: water
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 06:13:55 pm »
I have 10 lbs of grain how much water do I mash with and sprague? How do figure out the amount of water?

I use this often...http://www.brew365.com/mash_sparge_water_calculator.php

In my case, I tend to adjust the Mash Thickness variable to make somewhat rounded volume numbers.

Offline jrhomebrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 06:35:13 pm »
awesome thanks for this site! Im not sure what to put of some of the stuff like trub loss equipment loss and some of that do you just leave that alone?

Offline Rattlesnake44

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 10:04:41 am »

awesome thanks for this site! Im not sure what to put of some of the stuff like trub loss equipment loss and some of that do you just leave that alone?
I start with how much volume I want in my keg at the end of all this (5 gal). Then just add from there. So, yes, you need to figure out how much your equipment is gonna "soak" up. For instance, I have about 0.75 gal of dead space (where no more fluid will drain) in my boil kettle. So now I know I need at least 5.75 gal. Starting to get it? Then there's dead space in the mash tun. And the grain itself will soak up quite a bit, so you need to add that in. Plus evaporation during the boil... See how this is going?  Google and read through the All Grain chapters of John Palmer's "How to Brew". That should help with some of the formulas for figuring out things like grain absorption and evap rate. Remember when your math teacher said you'd need math as an adult? Turns out she was right . Cheers!

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 10:16:01 am »
I started out just using numbers that were reasonable based on reading then kept track of how those numbers work in real life on my equipment. So you can start with say 1.5 qts per pound for your mash, 1 gal per hour on your boil, multiply .1 times pounds of grain for gallons of water absorbed and figure 1/2 gal of trub. When you have total water amount of water just subtract what you figure for your mash and that's your sparge.
Numbers like this should get you close then keep track of what happens next time. the time after that etc. and then you'll have your numbers for your set up.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.