Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Boil time for all late hopped beer  (Read 2644 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Boil time for all late hopped beer
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2015, 08:22:49 am »
I leave the lid on, but remove it to stir every few minutes. I don't have a pump so I create my own whirlpool.
Jon H.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2015, 08:52:12 am »
Thanks.  I did a hop stand 2 weeks ago.  Half hour approx 180 with the lid on.  Still waiting to taste results.  Likely kegging it tomorrow.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2015, 10:26:22 am »
Has anyone experienced DMS as a result of a hop stand?  If not, why?  Any theories?

None detected and I am sensitive to it. A rolling long boil is used to drive it off.
+2 - I hop stand the majority of my beers and I've never noticed any DMS.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Black Sands Brewery & Supply

• Assistant Brewer
  • Head Brewer - Black Sands
    • Black Sands
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2015, 04:49:24 pm »
Good nuff.  Do you hop stand/whirlpool with the lid on or off and do you have a max time?  I'm assuming you'd want the lid on to keep in heat unless you are recirculating and using temp control and intermittent fire.

We do our WP with the lid off. Recipe dictates the times but usually we don't WP for more than 20 min. So w/ lid off and WP we don't lose much temp.  Is there a max time... Not sure but more than 30 mins seems excessive IMO.
Free recipes available for download on our website www.blacksandsbeer.com

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2015, 05:48:08 pm »

We do our WP with the lid off. Recipe dictates the times but usually we don't WP for more than 20 min. So w/ lid off and WP we don't lose much temp.  Is there a max time... Not sure but more than 30 mins seems excessive IMO.

For me, I stand 20 mins for APA, 30-40 for AIPA/IIPA.  The thing is, I'm sure you're achieving a much stronger whirlpool (and thereby getting quicker, more efficient extraction) than I can stirring by hand. But I agree that there's a point of diminishing returns and I don't get a lot of benefit past these times.
Jon H.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2015, 08:52:06 pm »
Thanks again everyone.  Still haven't had a chance to do this but right now I'm leaning towards trying just a 30 min intense boil and then hopping only at 10 mins and a huge hop stand, likely lid off.  I'm doing 18 gal boils so I think the thermal mass will take a very long time to drop below 180 unless I crank the garage door open.  I know in the past I've overshot my bitterness due to long stands.  It's only going to save 1/2 an hour so I don't know if it's worth the effort but I need to save as much time as I can.