Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Another Fermentation Chamber  (Read 4010 times)

Offline hmbrewing

• Cellarman
Re: Another Fermentation Chamber
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2015, 09:07:56 am »
I used to own two Sanyo 9.5 cu. ft. refrigerators before I took an extended hiatus from the hobby.  I used one of the refrigerators as my beer/brewing refrigerator, and the other, which I acquired from a previous employer for a song, as a temperature-controlled fermentation chamber because I brewed mainly lager beer at the time. I sold the modified temperature-controlled refrigerator and kept the non-modified refrigerator as a basement soda/overflow refrigerator.

I periodically think about acquiring or building another fermentation chamber.  I have ruled out chest freezers.  Almost every temperature-controlled freezer I have seen that has been in use for a more a couple of years as a fermentation chamber has had internal rust from condensation build up.  With a refrigerator, condensation forms in the freezer section where it drains and evaporates.  I also do not want to have to lift full carboys out of a fermentation chamber (I have gone back to using glass). 

With that said, where does condensation form in a SOFC-style fermentation chamber?  I am assuming that it forms as sweat on the frozen jugs of water.  Has anyone experienced condensation problems on the fermentation vessel side of the chamber?

If you look at the picture "cooling chamber open" you'll see the frozen coffee can sitting on a towel. The condensation collects on the towel - not enough to end up with it soaking wet - but enough that I don't want it collecting on the floor. I don't get any condensation at all in the actual chamber the fermenter is in. Yet anyway.

By the way - that's a fantastic point about freezer units - I never even considered that!
I brew beer, I drink beer...it really is that simple

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2015, 09:20:39 am »
My freezer is proof of the rust issue. Wasn't a problem in Northern California, but after moving to North Texas it went bad quick. For now I am leaving it and keep a good amount of DampRid in there at all times, one I move I will be scrubbing and repainting it.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2015, 11:27:27 am »
I've had my chest freezer fermentation chamber in use for a little over 7 years, and there are only a few rust spots on the interior.  They don't affect anything, and I'm sure I could mitigate them if I felt the need. 

The air is pretty dry out here in Los Angeles though; maybe it's more of an issue if you live in a humid climate.

The only thing that's kind of a pain is lifting fermentors in and out, but I'm relatively young and in good shape so it hasn't been a problem.  I also ferment in stainless vessels.  I would definitely not try to lift glass carboys in and out.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2015, 11:53:11 am »
We experience three months of triple-H (Hazy, Hot, and Humid) days during the summer.   Anything cold that is exposed to non-conditioned air will start to sweat within a couple of minutes.   

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2015, 02:27:01 pm »
My chest freezer in Mississippi doesn't sweat too bad. Condensation freezes on the sides but there are no puddles in the bottom. I have two pieces of wood in the bottom (1" thick sheets) which the fermenter sits on. Maybe those are absorbing the water.

A friend has problems with puddles in keezer mode. He ended up permanently opening the drain plug so the water runs out the bottom. That may or may not be an acceptable approach to dealing with water.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2015, 05:17:20 pm »
I sit my fermenter on a closed cell foam pad.  My reasoning is the walls of the freezer will be colder than the inside air temp when the compressor is running.  The yeast cake sits on the bottom of the fermenter so I don't want it touching the cold bottom of the freezer.  What were we talking about again? Oh yes, I don't have condensation issues in my fermentation freezer, but have them in my keezer and have to use damp rid.