Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Another Fermentation Chamber  (Read 1028 times)

Offline hmbrewing

• Cellarman
Another Fermentation Chamber
« on: January 01, 2015, 01:33:57 pm »
After close to five years of brewing I finally decided it was time to build a fermentation chamber. I currently have a saison fermenting away. Here are some pics:

All buttoned up:

Cooling chamber:

Cooling chamber open:

Fermenting chamber:

Ferm chamber open:

Control unit:

I built the controller directly from plans that were posted on the AHA website a few months back.

The insulating panels themselves are 1" rigid foam. Yes....this is thin however I get away with it because I am not dealing with wild temperature swings. It is then all wrapped in OSB.

This is my second beer that I have fermented in here and it has been holding temperature like a dream. I have also been able to slowly ramp up the temperature of the saison that is currently in there with amazing precision.

So far so good.
I brew beer, I drink beer...it really is that simple

Offline hmbrewing

• Cellarman
Re: Another Fermentation Chamber
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 01:35:01 pm »
I also meant to add that the heat source is simply a light bulb in a paint can also stole that from the internet.

Offline Dade0

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 10:17:01 pm »
What are you using to cool it?

Offline hmbrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 06:15:21 am »
I have 4 coffee cans that I fill with water and freeze. Depending on how much cooling power I need will depend on how many cans go into the cooling side of the chamber. Then it's simply a computer fan that pulls in the warmer air, over the cans, and back into the ferm chamber. Right now I don't really need much cooling power - just enough to keep me from overshooting my target temp. So I only have 1 can in there. As far as I know, it hasn't had to kick in yet. More of a precaution.