Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dregs question?  (Read 1130 times)

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
Dregs question?
« on: January 01, 2015, 02:59:55 pm »
Anyone know if the two sours unita did on there crooked line the 20th anniversary and 21st have pitchable dregs?  Got a bottle of each so figured I would check and see

Offline Black Sands Brewery & Supply

• Assistant Brewer
  • Head Brewer - Black Sands
    • Black Sands
Re: Dregs question?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 06:08:11 pm »
Anyone know if the two sours unita did on there crooked line the 20th anniversary and 21st have pitchable dregs?  Got a bottle of each so figured I would check and see

Dregs yes, pitiable dregs? As in dump the dregs into a batch and hope it ferments... Doubt it. You'll need to culture it up if possible. Or add the dregs to a full pitch of some Brett or something.
Free recipes available for download on our website www.blacksandsbeer.com

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 07:11:32 pm »
Yea I'm doing a 2 gal sour project one gallon is roselare blend but white labs version and the other is lacto and Brett, pitching lacto then a week later pitching the Brett

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 09:06:04 am »
Not sure myself but you could try emailing the brewery and asking whether those beers are pasteurized or filtered.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 09:13:20 am »
contacting the brewery is a great idea. or just give it a try. it won't cost must. when you are ready to drink the beer boil up some 1.020-1.030 un-hopped wort. you won't need much, just 50 ml or so. sanitize the bottle cap and neck, and the bottle opener and pop it open. wipe the lip of the bottle with high proof alcohol (140+) and pour gently leaving the last couple ounces. add 50 ml of wort and cover with an air lock. after a week or so add another 100ml or add the dregs to 500 ml if they seem active. 500 ml can be pitched into a 2 gallon batch easy.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce