Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What is a good bench model capper?  (Read 3393 times)

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
What is a good bench model capper?
« on: January 02, 2015, 02:54:49 pm »
I want to buy a bench model bottle capper but the reviews at online sellers are all "it's great", "it's great", "it's crap. broke after two cases".  I don't know what to believe.  They all look the same-ish...plastic, made in Italy.  What are your experience?
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
Re: What is a good bench model capper?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 08:16:47 pm »
I have the Super Agata and it's pretty good. A couple of the screws came loose early on, but have stayed tight since I tightened them. You do need to lightly lube the bell before each batch or the caps don't release cleanly. I found some vegetable oil wipes that are perfect for that.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline koop3700

• Cellarman
  • sodus N.Y.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 07:24:04 am »
Check ebay or craigslist I picked up a vintage capper from the 60's for 20 bucks already cleaned up and ready to use. Works mint nice heavy kewl look best of all no plastic!

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 07:55:06 am »
I think the name of mine is Colona.  It is adjustable and also does corks.  Comes with two heads for different size caps, and the cork stem.  It is red and plastic.  I worried about its durability, but it has been fantastic.  The bottle rests on an adjustable metal plate that slides into slots for different sizes.  I marked the different heights and can bottle and adjust with what ever bottle quickly.  I've bottled well over a hundred cases with it.  It was like $70 though.  I would buy it again.
Jeff B

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 11:04:13 am »
I think the name of mine is Colona.  It is adjustable and also does corks.  Comes with two heads for different size caps, and the cork stem.  It is red and plastic.  I worried about its durability, but it has been fantastic.  The bottle rests on an adjustable metal plate that slides into slots for different sizes.  I marked the different heights and can bottle and adjust with what ever bottle quickly.  I've bottled well over a hundred cases with it.  It was like $70 though.  I would buy it again.

I have the same Colonna capper/corker and I bought it because I wanted to be able to cap 750ml bottles and occasionally cork. I didn't want to buy multiple tools so this was the only piece of equipment on the market that does everything without having to buy a more expensive floor corker and the capper attachment. It is plastic but it's thick plastic. I expect it to last years but not infinitely.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
What is a good bench model capper?
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 11:09:54 am »
I've been considering a Colona for a while now. Mainly because I like to bottle my aging beers in short necks (sierra, founders, Firestone). No logical reason, I just like them. Problem is my current red Italian capper doesn't quite crimp well enough and I have to crimp, rotate 90° crimp again.

The Colona should be able to cap session stubby bottles too.

Nice to see people are happy with them. I trust the folks here over the reviews on retailer sites.

Offline bengelbrau

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 06:28:21 pm »
I have the Ferrari Colt (I've always wanted a Ferrari, but this one I could afford). I like it, but it is kind of tight on the cap if fully pressed down. It helps to use keg lube on the inside of the bell, but practice has given me the right touch. The height can be adjusted with one hand, and I have a Sharpie mark on the shaft for the three sizes of bottles I run across, so it's easy. I would not go back to the butterfly

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 08:56:48 pm »
I have the Ferrari Colt (I've always wanted a Ferrari, but this one I could afford). I like it, but it is kind of tight on the cap if fully pressed down. It helps to use keg lube on the inside of the bell, but practice has given me the right touch. The height can be adjusted with one hand, and I have a Sharpie mark on the shaft for the three sizes of bottles I run across, so it's easy. I would not go back to the butterfly
The Colt is one that I am considering and looks good in pictures on the net.  How is it built, long lasting wise?  Will pivot points, wear areas and pressure points (like where the arm contacts the plunger) stand up to years of use?  How does it compare in those areas to other Ferrari models, the Agata and others?  Or are they all the same with different names?
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline bengelbrau

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 09:23:32 pm »
I've had the Ferrari for about 140 gallons of bottling, and it's held up really well. Seems solidly constructed,and there seems to be no wear where the handle pushes the plunger. The only quibble I have is having some bottles get stuck in the bell because of pressing hard. That was resolved with practice and some keg lube.