Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cold fermented wyeast 1272 tasting notes  (Read 2582 times)

Offline koop3700

• Cellarman
  • sodus N.Y.
Cold fermented wyeast 1272 tasting notes
« on: January 03, 2015, 07:52:22 am »
So brewed a SMASH 6 weeks or so back with some hops from my buddys farm been there for 10+ years. No idea of what hop it was so brewed straight forward 12 lb 2-row with 1oz at 60 1oz at 30 1oz at 5min. smelt great good taste prior to fermentation. Well in the freezer it went set at 67 degrees checked the next day all bubbly did no notice the temp in chamber at this time so 2 weeks later I come back to transfer and noticed temp was 58 degrees. settings are all good ahhh winter time and I have no heating source to warm chamber, basement temp steady 58 degrees. So transfer the beer to secondary and do my normal taste NUTTY NUTTY BREADY really nutty so transfer I did, Did not want to many variables so let it finish at 58 degrees for 2 more weeks and then bottled conditioned at 68 degrees. Taste test 2 weeks from bottle no change really nutty bready can not pick out hops. My question to all is has anyone had this with the 1272 at cold temps? or should I be looking elsewhere? Pretty solid routine this Would be the first beer that I dump just cant do it nor anyone else that I have tested on all the same response really nutty.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Cold fermented wyeast 1272 tasting notes
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 08:52:04 am »
Nutty and bready is bad? That sounds good to me. Those hops are probably super low alpha or just aren't good for brewing. You probably needed to use a lot more than you did. 1272 is a good yeast, what was your final gravity (since it fermented so cool)?
Jesse

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 09:13:14 am »
3 oz of homegrown hops doesn't seem like very much especially since you don't know what kind they are. They could have a very low aa% and are not balancing properly with the malt. That is just a guess obviously. I know two row isn't usually 'nutty' but it could just be a weird flavor balance between the unknown hops and the malt?

EDIT: +1 to Beersk...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline koop3700

• Cellarman
  • sodus N.Y.
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 10:29:57 am »
I have had great luck with the 1272 no doubt there. I made a tea with the hops prior to using had decent bitterness. Agree that the 1272 may not be right for these hops think if I make a nut brown may try the 1272 @58 degrees to duplicate the nuttiness perhaps. Some may like this flavor not for me though A bit much or not enough hop bitterness to mello out the yeast character.

Offline koop3700

• Cellarman
  • sodus N.Y.
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 10:32:22 am »
Nutty and bready is bad? That sounds good to me. Those hops are probably super low alpha or just aren't good for brewing. You probably needed to use a lot more than you did. 1272 is a good yeast, what was your final gravity (since it fermented so cool)?
It finished great .008 very happy with the performance just the nuttiness wew.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 11:11:36 am »
Wyeast 1272 is BRY 97, which is a known hop scrubber.  The best way to brew a hoppy beer with 1272 is to add hops in some form after primary fermentation is complete.  Anchor dry-hops Liberty Ale.

Offline koop3700

• Cellarman
  • sodus N.Y.
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 04:24:01 pm »
Wyeast 1272 is BRY 97, which is a known hop scrubber.  The best way to brew a hoppy beer with 1272 is to add hops in some form after primary fermentation is complete. 
With this batch thought of exactly that adding 2oz. when I racked to secondary, would have helped. Great info on the bry-97 scrubbing the hops thanks.