Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mitch Steele's stone recipes fermentation temperatures  (Read 1155 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
Mitch Steele's stone recipes fermentation temperatures
« on: December 28, 2014, 08:49:10 am »
I've been browsing through his book and in the back he gives all of his recipes.  I find it very odd that he states that they ferment at 72°.  In my thinking, that seems pretty high.  I can't think of any homebrewer's that I know who ferments above 70 and most like to stay around 65°.  Maybe it has to do with the volume that they use or perhaps turnaround time?
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Mitch Steele's stone recipes fermentation temperatures
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 10:01:19 am »
The massive fermenters allow for higher fermentation temps. The pressure caused by the sheer volume inhibits ester production.

They also use a proprietary yeast. Who know what it can do.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 06:45:01 pm »
Yes... And you're right. Ferment in the lower 60s if you can. Let it rise up at the end to clean out a bit.
Frank

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 11:01:06 am »
Seventy-two degrees is not ridiculously high for ale yeast.  In my humble opinion (and it's just that), the reason why so many homebrewers start their fermentations artificially low is because they have problems with house microflora.  Lower fermentation temps favor domesticated microbes. 

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 03:09:35 pm »
Seventy-two degrees is not ridiculously high for ale yeast.  In my humble opinion (and it's just that), the reason why so many homebrewers start their fermentations artificially low is because they have problems with house microflora.  Lower fermentation temps favor domesticated microbes. 

So, you're saying that we are taking advantage of microbes in our homes to help ferment our beers? Or, that fermenting at higher temps will encourage the microbes and spoil the beer?
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 03:45:26 pm »

So, you're saying that we are taking advantage of microbes in our homes to help ferment our beers? Or, that fermenting at higher temps will encourage the microbes and spoil the beer?
I think the point was that at lower fermentation temperatures the yeast you're pitching has a better chance to outcompete any stray microbes you may have picked up in your wort. If you have sloppy sanitation practices, then the typical (undesirable) microbes floating around your house may have a better chance to take a foothold.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer