Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BJCP category question: Berliner Weiss w/fruit  (Read 2282 times)

Offline jamesewelch

• 1st Kit
BJCP category question: Berliner Weiss w/fruit
« on: January 03, 2015, 10:55:42 am »
Last year, I asked around and was told that I should submit my fruit-added (secondary) Berliner Weiss under category 20 (Fruit Beer) - which I did (got 2nd place in that category at my local BJCP comp :D ).

Recently, I saw a new recipe posted to AHA's website that a Cranberry Berliner Weiss won a bronze at 1995 NHC in Berliner Weiss category. I know there were probably different rules and categories in 1995 than the 2008 (or 2014) BJCP guidelines, but I'm curious about whether Berliner Weiss with fruit added should go under Fruit Beer or Sour Beer. The BJCP guidelines "comments" section talks about the traditional sugar syrups, but seems to sound like those were added to a base Berliner Weiss after pouring in glass rather than in pre-bottling.

Should I submit my Berliner Weiss w/fruit under 20 (Fruit beer) or 17A (Berliner Weiss)?

Thanks,
Jim

S. cerevisiae

Re: BJCP category question: Berliner Weiss w/fruit
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 11:02:59 am »
There's always category 23.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 01:44:23 pm »
It should go in 20. You could get away with putting it in 17A in some competitions, especially smaller ones, but your risk losing points over the fruit character.

It's also possible that the cranberry character was not very noticeable, but my main guess would be that judges were a bit looser in 95.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 01:49:22 pm »
+1 putting it in 20.  From what I can tell, base beer plus one fruit = 20, and a Berliner with sour cherries won the category in 2008.  It looks like it would be out of style in 23 because it "fits elsewhere" unless it had more than one fruit.

From 23:
"Beers with only one type of fruit, spice, herbs, vegetables, or smoke should be entered in Categories 20-22. Specialty meads or ciders should be entered in their respective categories"

Offline jamesewelch

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 07:13:11 pm »
Thanks. I submitted my last year's fruity Berliner Weiss to category 20 and didn't get any feedback that it should have been otherwise. I was just second guessing my category decision this year after I saw that recipe. I'll continue to use category 20.

Cheers

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 08:19:24 pm »
+1 putting it in 20.  From what I can tell, base beer plus one fruit = 20, and a Berliner with sour cherries won the category in 2008.  It looks like it would be out of style in 23 because it "fits elsewhere" unless it had more than one fruit.

From 23:
"Beers with only one type of fruit, spice, herbs, vegetables, or smoke should be entered in Categories 20-22. Specialty meads or ciders should be entered in their respective categories"
Technically, that could mean a beer with two different fruits would be cat 23. However, during the style presentation at NHC this year Gordon Strong said 'If you have to use the words 'Well, technically' to justify a style, you've picked the wrong style.

I'm pretty sure the intention was fruit and spice, spice and smoke, fruit and smoke, etc.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 08:24:36 pm »
Ahh. That makes sense.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 09:26:35 pm »
+1 on Cat 20

Steve
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline Janis

• AHA Project Coordinator/NHC Director
  • Brewer
  • Which came first, the pelican or the beer?
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 10:28:04 am »
Hi Jim,

Also, keep in mind that the BJCP Style Guidelines have been changed several times since 2000 (2004, 2008, 2014), so it's possible that the category was accepting of fruit-added versions of that beer style in 1995.

Good luck in the competition!

Cheers,
Janis
Janis Gross
National Homebrew Competition Director
AHA Project Coordinator
janis@brewersassociation.org