Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: pilsner ale yeast  (Read 1567 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
pilsner ale yeast
« on: January 08, 2015, 03:39:03 pm »
I have an imperial pilsner on my schedule and I'm not sure that I can get to it during what I consider lager brewing season. What would be a good ale yeast to sub? Chico? Wlp060? Wyeast's Pacman?
I understand that 34/70 is the same as Wyeast 2124 and it's described as being able to work okay into the 60s, would it be an option?
Any other possibilities?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: pilsner ale yeast
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 04:00:47 pm »
I have an imperial pilsner on my schedule and I'm not sure that I can get to it during what I consider lager brewing season. What would be a good ale yeast to sub? Chico? Wlp060? Wyeast's Pacman?
I understand that 34/70 is the same as Wyeast 2124 and it's described as being able to work okay into the 60s, would it be an option?
Any other possibilities?

I'd use WY 1007 (very clean) first, then Chico. Though I've heard the same about 2124. I've used it a lot but not into the 60s. I did use it once a long time ago unintentionally in the upper 50s (pre- good temp control) and it came out surprisingly clean.
Jon H.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 04:09:06 pm »
Yeah, I recently brewed a "cream ale" with the WLP810 San Francisco lager yeast at 60°F, and after lagering it for 6 weeks. it tastes just as squeaky clean as a pilsner.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 06:26:24 pm »
I love WY1007so that's my suggestion. Pitch at 54-56 (you will need a good sized starter). If that is too cold stick with Chico (or try Chumply's suggestion. I've never used that yeast.)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 06:51:47 pm »
I've used 34/70 at 58-60F and it was still super clean. I don't doubt that 1007 will make an excellent beer, but even fermented low it makes a beer that tastes like it was brewed with altbier yeast. To my palate, if I'm looking for a beer that tastes like a lager, then a lager yeast fermented a bit warm works better than an ale yeast fermented cold.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 03:27:02 pm »
Some good suggestions. Luckily I have at least a couple of months to figure it out.
If I absolutely had to choose today I'd probably go with the 34/70 in the low 60s.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 03:55:57 pm »
I'd use the so called "Chico" (WY1056, etc)...
Word has it that it's descended from the strain that the late, great Ballantine brewery in Nj apparently used for their "lager" beer (they used a different ale strain for their ales).  It's very well known that 1056/Chico is a very 'clean' ale yeast that makes very convincing bastard lagers.

Kind of ironic, really.  Nowadays, the Ballantine XXX Ale that Miller contract brews for Pabst uses a lager strain.  LOL.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971