Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: not strictly brewing, but...  (Read 5435 times)

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
Re: not strictly brewing, but...
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2014, 01:33:57 am »
Shudder
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2014, 02:31:43 am »
 :P In Belgium we can find dry white mulberries in Chinese shops. I find them basically tasteless. The dark ones taste much better, but can't  be found. I bought a small pack on amazon, and tried them in a small batch of mead. Tasty, very sweet, but (because they are dry?) quite raisin-like.

So I don't know what fresh mulberries taste like. if I could lay my hands on some fresh dark mulberries I would certainly use them in mead. And then decide whether they fit in lambic.

These are the "proven" fruits/additions that I know of to use in a lambic: apricot, raspberry, sour cherry, blueberry, some types of grape, plum, strawberry (difficult because not much taste), redcurrant, elderflower. Probably also blackberry and gooseberry, though I haven't tasted those.
Frank P.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2014, 05:24:13 pm »
:P In Belgium we can find dry white mulberries in Chinese shops. I find them basically tasteless. The dark ones taste much better, but can't  be found. I bought a small pack on amazon, and tried them in a small batch of mead. Tasty, very sweet, but (because they are dry?) quite raisin-like.

So I don't know what fresh mulberries taste like. if I could lay my hands on some fresh dark mulberries I would certainly use them in mead. And then decide whether they fit in lambic.

These are the "proven" fruits/additions that I know of to use in a lambic: apricot, raspberry, sour cherry, blueberry, some types of grape, plum, strawberry (difficult because not much taste), redcurrant, elderflower. Probably also blackberry and gooseberry, though I haven't tasted those.

you did originally ask for suggestions of fruit that is not usually found in sour beers. sticking to the 'proven' fruits essentially contradicts that desire. sometimes you have to attempt something that might not be all that good to achieve something amazing. you've expressed a desire to elevate your brewing to 'world class'. it order to do that you have to not only nail the technical aspects, you also have to nail the magic. and magic doesn't happen without risk.

RE: mulberries. Persian mulberries taste better, more complex and more amazing than any other kind I've tried. I've tasted the white and the dark tree mulberries that are common here in northern california and they are sweet and somewhat flavorful but nothing like the persians. hard to lay hands on though.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2014, 02:12:46 pm »
you have to not only nail the technical aspects, you also have to nail the magic. and magic doesn't happen without risk.

Yes, but can risk happen without shudder?  Please? :P
Frank P.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2014, 07:50:52 am »
you have to not only nail the technical aspects, you also have to nail the magic. and magic doesn't happen without risk.

Yes, but can risk happen without shudder?  Please? :P

not often
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline nolinenowait

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2015, 06:20:17 pm »
I had a sour recently with apricot that was very good.  I believe it was aged in a bourbon barrel as well.  Keep us updated!