Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sanitizer and Septic Systems  (Read 5755 times)

Offline Bart

• 1st Kit
Sanitizer and Septic Systems
« on: January 05, 2015, 04:00:12 pm »
Hi Folks,

I'm new to brewing. Here's my first question: Are there any sanitizers that are septic system safe. If so, what would you recommend?

Thanks
Bart
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 04:08:03 pm by Bart »

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Sanitizer and Septic Systems
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 04:48:53 pm »
PBW for cleaning and Starsan for sanitizing.  Both manufactured by Five Star Chemicals. 

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 05:23:23 pm »
I would not want those in my septic system, but they are probably relatively harmless at dilute levels recommended by Five Star.  Even so, I just pitch them out on the driveway or patio and they flow into the grass.  In winter it goes right into the yard.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 05:37:04 pm »
I would not want those in my septic system, but they are probably relatively harmless at dilute levels recommended by Five Star.  Even so, I just pitch them out on the driveway or patio and they flow into the grass.  In winter it goes right into the yard.
On this episode of Brew Strong Jamil and John Palmer cover properly cleaning your brewing equipment. To help tackle the topic, Jon Herskovits of Five Star Chemicals joins the discussion to add insight about the right chemicals for the right job and how they affect your brewing, equipment and the environment.
http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/Brew-Strong/Brew-Strong-11-10-08-Cleaning

I've been using them with no problems and Jon from Five Star specifically addresses septic systems in this podcast.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 08:38:28 pm »
On this episode of Brew Strong Jamil and John Palmer cover properly cleaning your brewing equipment. To help tackle the topic, Jon Herskovits of Five Star Chemicals joins the discussion to add insight about the right chemicals for the right job and how they affect your brewing, equipment and the environment.
http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/Brew-Strong/Brew-Strong-11-10-08-Cleaning

I've been using them with no problems and Jon from Five Star specifically addresses septic systems in this podcast.

Yes, I use them, as well, but especially as to PBW, I would avoid septic tank disposal, despite the claim that there is no harm at mfg. dilution levels.  But I add helpful bacteria regularly to my system just to be sure.  My septic tank guy recommends it so it doesn't require as frequent pumping as without.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 08:44:47 pm »
Yes, I use them, as well, but especially as to PBW, I would avoid septic tank disposal, despite the claim that there is no harm at mfg. dilution levels.  But I add helpful bacteria regularly to my system just to be sure.  My septic tank guy recommends it so it doesn't require as frequent pumping as without.

Do you bleach your whites?

Offline Bart

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 10:15:19 pm »
No, never.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 06:08:10 pm »
No bleach in my system - living on a septic for many years, there isn't much we put in there that has been thought through.  Yes we use septic friendly lighter detergents and soaps, so why push it with other things that are detrimental to bacteria?

Offline bengelbrau

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 07:27:00 pm »
The way I see it, the amount of anything going into a septic tank will be diluted to such an extent that it won't matter. My tank is 1200 gallons. Whatever I use in brewing is not going to make a dent in that kind of volume.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 07:30:01 pm by bengelbrau »

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 08:12:10 pm »
Having lived in homes with septic systems for most of my life, I can say without reservation that the number one septic system/drain field killer is failure to pump one's septic tank on a regularly scheduled basis.  Residential septic systems are not completely self-maintaining.  Failing to pump a septic on a scheduled basis can result in non-decomposed toilet tissue infiltrating one's drain field, preventing the effluent from draining from the tank.

Sodium hypochlorite (chlorine bleach) breaks down to salt water and oxygen while attacking organic matter.  Used properly, most of the sodium hypchlorite in a load of whites is broken down to saltwater and oxygen before it is drained and rinsed from the load. 

Offline npushis

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 03:49:44 am »
Finally a topic I can contribute too! When I was building my house in the sticks, I researched septic systems somewhat extensively as I had never had one. I found some interesting studies into what is actually needed to "kill" the beneficial microbes in the tank. This study was very interesting, while it does not involve brewing chemicals, it does give one a sense of the strength of the colonies.

http://infohouse.p2ric.org/ref/33/32411.pdf

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 04:48:57 am »
and where i live, most cant install leach filed septic systems due to soil composition. i have 2-thousand gal tanks for solid collection, then an aeration tank for liquid, then one last tank that collects the water, hits it with UV light, and pumps it to the ditch. no worries with sanitizers, and i just have the 2-thousand gal tanks pumped out every 3 years to remove anything not broken down. $18K poop system.....ridiculous.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 08:09:25 am »
and where i live, most cant install leach filed septic systems due to soil composition. i have 2-thousand gal tanks for solid collection, then an aeration tank for liquid, then one last tank that collects the water, hits it with UV light, and pumps it to the ditch. no worries with sanitizers, and i just have the 2-thousand gal tanks pumped out every 3 years to remove anything not broken down. $18K poop system.....ridiculous.
I had to replace my septic system before I could sell my last house, and a traditional ISDS with leach field is in the same price ballpark - especially when you factor in the landscaping.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 10:05:06 am »
Hi Folks,

I'm new to brewing. Here's my first question: Are there any sanitizers that are septic system safe. If so, what would you recommend?

Thanks
Bart

As far as I know, they all are.  Consider the small amount of sanitizer vs. the volume of your septic tank.  I've been pouring sanitizers into my septic tank for 7 years and never had a problem.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 11:56:10 am »
I sometimes wonder if pouring spent yeast etc. down the drain after racking a fermenter is actually helpful to the flora in a septic system.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.