Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: IPA Brew This Weekend  (Read 1817 times)

Offline GolfBum

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lakewood, CO
IPA Brew This Weekend
« on: January 14, 2015, 07:11:30 pm »
I am planning on brewing an IPA this weekend and really want a fruit bomb. Haven't made one before and have a lot of Citra and Mosaic. I either want to use Warrior or Nugget for bittering since I already have them on hand. Please let me know what you think.

Boil Size: 6.74 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.24 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal   
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.075 SG
Estimated Color: 6.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 114.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 78.5 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
13 lbs                Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)           Grain         1        81.3 %       
2 lbs                 Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)             Grain         2        12.5 %       
1 lbs                 Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)             Grain         3        6.3 %         
1.00 oz               Warrior [15.00 %] - First Wort 30.0 min  Hop           4        34.3 IBUs     
1.00 oz               Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min        Hop           5        40.6 IBUs     
1.00 oz               Citra [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  30.0  Hop           6        12.5 IBUs     
1.00 oz               Galaxy [14.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  30.0 Hop           7        14.5 IBUs     
1.00 oz               Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Steep/Whirl Hop           8        12.7 IBUs     
2.0 pkg               Safale American  (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)  Yeast         9        -             
2.00 oz               Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days       Hop           10       0.0 IBUs     
2.00 oz               Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Hop           11       0.0 IBUs     
1.00 oz               Galaxy [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days      Hop           12       0.0 IBUs     

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: IPA Brew This Weekend
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 07:18:53 am »
Looks pretty good to me.

My base IPA recipe is similar being 75% two row, 20% munich, 5% crystal

I will allow others to chime in but the bittering hops seem to be a bit much for my taste. Maybe drop them 0.75 oz additions? I don't brew IPAs that often so I am sure others can provide better feedback.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 07:37:11 am »
I think it looks good overall.  Personally, I'd drop the lb of carapils and use .5 lb C40 and an extra .5 lb of base malt. And the 3 oz of steeping  hops would be fine for an APA, but being your only source of flavor hops, I would use at least 1.5 oz of each to get IPA-level flavor. Let us know how it comes out !
Jon H.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 08:05:20 am »
with the munich in there you won't need the crystal at all. I'd drop it altogether. I'm personally not a bug fan of over the top bitter IPAs and this qualifies at 112 IBU. If it was my IPA (which it is NOT so feel free to ignore this advice) I would drop the warrior FWH addition and double the whirlpool addition. This is particularly true because you have the FWH as only being in for 30 minutes. It's more like 75 depending on how long your system takes to boil.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 08:31:21 am »
Yeah, the IBUs are high, for sure. With these whirlpool recipes that have no IBUs coming from late hop additions, it is deceiving looking to see that many IBUs up front. But especially steeping at 175F on down, there are little to no perceptible IBUs picked up there. So effectively, a recipe like this doesn't come across much different than a recipe where you added 50 IBU up front and got several more IBU from  20,15, 10, 5 minute additions. Having said all that, there's no harm in bumping the 60 minute additions down a tad.
Jon H.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 08:47:46 am »
Yeah, the IBUs are high, for sure. With these whirlpool recipes that have no IBUs coming from late hop additions, it is deceiving looking to see that many IBUs up front. But especially steeping at 175F on down, there are little to no perceptible IBUs picked up there. So effectively, a recipe like this doesn't come across much different than a recipe where you added 50 IBU up front and got several more IBU from  20,15, 10, 5 minute additions. Having said all that, there's no harm in bumping the 60 minute additions down a tad.

don't get me wrong, if you like the ultra bitter style IPA then by all means go for it. I am not a fan though. Also I find super bitter and fruity don't go together all that well. the bitterness fatigues my palate and I can't taste the fruity flavors as well.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 08:51:37 am »

don't get me wrong, if you like the ultra bitter style IPA then by all means go for it. I am not a fan though. Also I find super bitter and fruity don't go together all that well. the bitterness fatigues my palate and I can't taste the fruity flavors as well.

I agree, I don't like 'melt your face bitterness'  either. I'm just saying that the 38-ish IBUs that are calculated from the steep don't come across as anything like that much, IF you steep 175 or less. That leaves ~ 75 in boil IBUs that would be perceived easily.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 12:59:59 pm »

I agree, I don't like 'melt your face bitterness'  either. I'm just saying that the 38-ish IBUs that are calculated from the steep don't come across as anything like that much, IF you steep 175 or less. That leaves ~ 75 in boil IBUs that would be perceived easily.
First of all, IBU calculators almost always overestimate IBU's. Secondly, I agree completely that late hops are a totally different animal than 60-minute additions as far as how the bitterness is perceived. They are much milder bitterness. Having said that, I'd drop the FWH of Warrior and double the whirlpool additions to really push the hop flavor.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline archstanton

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 01:29:51 pm »
Your og is way up into double ipa range. You will be looking at an 8% plus beer.  Calculated ibus rarely ever are close to actual ibus. Also as Hoosier alluded, where you get those ibus makes a difference. Bitterness is a taste not a number. I prefer to use a fwh with a flavor I like, also I like to hit the last 20 minutes hard with hops as well as a hop stand.  You have a lot of choices...

Offline GolfBum

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lakewood, CO
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 03:44:08 pm »
Thanks for the information guys. I think I am going to decrease the malt a tad to lower the ABV and double the whirlpool hops. Seeing as I have most of the hops already I may as well go for it. Still deciding on the FWH addition. I like them because to me it smooths out the bitterness. May cut it back to .5 ounce instead of a full one ounce? I am hoping this one tastes the way I think it will. Once again, thanks for the input.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 09:24:22 am »
Thanks for the information guys. I think I am going to decrease the malt a tad to lower the ABV and double the whirlpool hops. Seeing as I have most of the hops already I may as well go for it. Still deciding on the FWH addition. I like them because to me it smooths out the bitterness. May cut it back to .5 ounce instead of a full one ounce? I am hoping this one tastes the way I think it will. Once again, thanks for the input.

I always thought that as well but my club did an experiment where three or four brewers brewed the same recipe (grist, yeast, hops) but added the hops in different ways(FWH, 60 minute addition, mash hopping late hopping). We then tasted blind and my impression of the FWH, not knowing that was what it was, was that it had more and harsher bitterness than a normal 60 minute addition.

I've been enjoying a 15 minute bittering addition in my last couple brews. you have to use more hops to hit your IBU target but the flavor is great and there is plenty of bitterness for the low gravity I usually brew to. For higher gravity IPAs and such I do like a 60 minute addition or even a FWH if I'm using good flavor hops. But you are using neutral lightly flavored/scented bittering hops so I'm not sure what the FWH would get you.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce