Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: cold crashing  (Read 5663 times)

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
Re: cold crashing
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2015, 11:57:23 am »
Thanks for the advice. I bottled today after cold crashing for 24 hours @ 5C, because I want to reuse the yeast.
Slightly off topic, but still, it's my thread: I put all the yeast and trub (no dry hops) in a sanitized jar with a 5 cm of beer floating on top of it. Is that OK? How long will it keep in the fridge?
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline Black Sands Brewery & Supply

• Assistant Brewer
  • Head Brewer - Black Sands
    • Black Sands
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2015, 12:57:13 pm »
Thanks for the advice. I bottled today after cold crashing for 24 hours @ 5C, because I want to reuse the yeast.
Slightly off topic, but still, it's my thread: I put all the yeast and trub (no dry hops) in a sanitized jar with a 5 cm of beer floating on top of it. Is that OK? How long will it keep in the fridge?

I would read up on "yeast washing" if you want to harvest from a previous batch.

I'd say you are ok w/ what you did but try to use what you saved w/in 30 days. The sooner the better.
Free recipes available for download on our website www.blacksandsbeer.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2015, 01:03:01 pm »
I've found yeast washing/rinsing offers no advantages and I stopped doing it years ago.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

• Assistant Brewer
    • Black Sands
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2015, 01:26:16 pm »
I've found yeast washing/rinsing offers no advantages and I stopped doing it years ago.

I agree. Not worth the time or effort IMO. I just use fresh yeast every batch.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2015, 01:40:21 pm »

OK, that's what I thought I had read somewhere on this forum. And the yeast remains relatively healthy for how long in the fridge? Longer than a month?
Frank P.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2015, 01:48:11 pm »

OK, that's what I thought I had read somewhere on this forum. And the yeast remains relatively healthy for how long in the fridge? Longer than a month?
I've gone 6+ months. As long as you make a starter most strains should be fine for a while in the fridge. You might need to start slow and do a few steps with your starters for older yeast slurries.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2015, 02:03:11 pm »

I've gone 6+ months. As long as you make a starter most strains should be fine for a while in the fridge. You might need to start slow and do a few steps with your starters for older yeast slurries.
My philosophy lately is rinsing is no bueno. I store it on the beer it made itself. If I have time to make a starter, I make a starter.  Meaning, if I repitch the next day (or that week) I just measure and repitch.  If im brewing more than a week out, I make a starter.

• Assistant Brewer
    • Black Sands
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2015, 02:10:23 pm »

+1 if its a lower OG beer under 1.060 you could just pitch what you have. Over that and a starter is a good idea There is no real set time 1 month 6 months no real way to tell. The fresher the yeast the better

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2015, 02:23:11 pm »

I agree. Not worth the time or effort IMO. I just use fresh yeast every batch.

I save and resue the yeast, but I just pour everything into a sanitized container and keep it refrigerated until I'm ready to use it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2015, 08:51:34 am »
OK, one more newbie question now that we're at it: I bottled Drew's citra saison (with French Saison, and NOT dry-hopped) yesterday. Should I drink this beer fresh or let it mature for a number (how many?) months? Saison and citra seem to compete with one another here...
Frank P.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2015, 08:54:46 am »
why choose? taste one in a couple weeks. if you then need to pick up your socks, you are probably good to go! if not, wait it out.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2015, 08:56:42 am »
OK, one more newbie question now that we're at it: I bottled Drew's citra saison (with French Saison, and NOT dry-hopped) yesterday. Should I drink this beer fresh or let it mature for a number (how many?) months? Saison and citra seem to compete with one another here...

If the Citra is a little more present than you bargained for (very strong hop), it will diminish over time, even week by week. I say give it time.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2015, 09:01:23 am »
Here's yet another vague answer for you - decide that one for yourself. Personally, I prefer my own Saison's with 3711 fresh. But if the hop character is too much for you right now, then let it sit for a month or so and taste one every couple of weeks from there. Once it's right where you like it, then make a note for next time and start enjoying the fruits of your labor.

It's also not too bad of an idea to save a few bottles to taste 6-12 months down the road so you can get an idea for how it ages over the long-term. While I usually drink my Saisons fresh, they age just fine for a year or more. As a newbie, each batch can be a learning experience. Taking the time to learn now through experience will pay huge dividends as you continue brewing.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer