Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rye IPA grist  (Read 1380 times)

Offline glenmoorebrewing

• Cellarman
Rye IPA grist
« on: January 05, 2015, 12:31:16 pm »
Here's where I'm at so far
10 lbs two row
2 lbs rye
1 lb crystal 60
1 lb cane sugar
This puts me about 7.2 abv with the Sonoma ale yeast I plan to try this go round.
As far as hopping I'm planning on single hopping with cascade with a small bittering addition at 60 and large additions around 5 min and  flameout.
Any ideas, tweaks, or tricks appreciated.
-AK

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Rye IPA grist
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 01:22:31 pm »
I would increase the amount of rye to 20% or so
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 01:29:59 pm »
The sugar and rye are kind of at odds with each other.  Are you sure you really want sugar in there?  and has been said, try to get your rye % up around 20% minimum.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline glenmoorebrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 02:29:43 pm »
I've done this recipe before without the sugar, haven't tried it with sugar yet. My thinking was it would dry it out a bit more while boosting abv. Add a little more two row and nix sugar? Why would the rye and cane sugar be at odds?
-AK

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 02:34:44 pm »
I've done this recipe before without the sugar, haven't tried it with sugar yet. My thinking was it would dry it out a bit more while boosting abv. Add a little more two row and nix sugar? Why would the rye and cane sugar be at odds?

To my mind, they'd be at odds becasue the rye is adding body while the sugar is reducing it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline glenmoorebrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 02:41:45 pm »
Ahh thank you, no sugar, upped the rye to 20% of grist. Planning on brewing it this Saturday and luckily I have one corny left from the last attempt for inspiration.
-AK