Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Newly unemployed and want to brew  (Read 3484 times)

Offline HobsonDrake

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beaverton, OR
    • Brew Batch List
Newly unemployed and want to brew
« on: January 05, 2015, 04:48:03 pm »
So I am out of a job. Layoff notice was unexpected. But I have a severance to keep me going for a little bit.

But I was thinking that now that I have some days open I would like to "work" in a brewery. Not full time mind you, just to get a feel for it. I would be able to learn some stuff that would support my home brewing knowledge.

I will have to get a "real" job that will pay the bills and I know a rookie won't make but maybe minimum wage. And that will not pay the mortgage or the utilities for that matter.

So for all you pros out there, how should I approach this? Just walk into a place and say put me to work for one or two weeks? What you you say if I came up to you and asked you that?

Check out my brew history and recipes at http://www.hobsondrake.com/BrewList.html

John D.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Newly unemployed and want to brew
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 04:52:35 pm »
I'm not a pro brewer, but the time they would have to invest in training you would likely not make it a worthwhile investment for them. 

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 05:57:25 pm »
Ya unfortunately its kind of like walking up to a fishing boat in Alaska asking to work part time with a little trout fishing experience. The skipper would call that a liability at best.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 06:11:37 pm »
Last 3 guys that came in and asked if they could volunteer I ended up hiring after anywhere between 2 days and 3 weeks. It's a great way to get your foot in the door. Especially if you are a good worker.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 06:23:36 pm »
I stand corrected.  Also, I'm sorry this happened to you, best of luck in your search. 

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 06:31:13 pm »
I'm sure every brewery is different so don't stand too corrected. That said, there's usually one thing a small brewery is always short of and that is cheap labor.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 06:49:10 pm »
I just met a guy who got a job in a brewery by making them rubicks cubes with their logo. Now he works their a couple days a week while going to school. So do you want to learn how to scrub equipment?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 06:59:56 pm »
The last guy I hired: His main job is building case boxes and six pack holders and putting the six pack holders in the case boxes.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 08:46:24 pm »
In my experience as a brewery startup there're many folks interested in getting their foot in the door, and I'm finding that this is probably the best way to land a job in a brewery. It certainly can't hurt to try if you have the time.
Ron Price

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 10:17:40 pm »
Last 3 guys that came in and asked if they could volunteer I ended up hiring after anywhere between 2 days and 3 weeks. It's a great way to get your foot in the door. Especially if you are a good worker.

I've asked three local breweries (out of 4) to volunteer doing whatever.  Nothing.  I even showered.   :-\

Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 04:02:29 am »

I've asked three local breweries (out of 4) to volunteer doing whatever.  Nothing. I even showered.   :-\

Gersh, you probably shaved too. ;)

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 05:46:07 am »
I would consider long term commitment. I would not want to train you and then 3 month down the road you would walk. Also I would pay you a regular pay.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline TMX

• Assistant Brewer
  • Evolution of the next Revolution
    • TxBrewing
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 10:44:40 pm »
Dont forget, there may be insurance issues for the brewery as well.  I am in Colorado Springs and want to look for a spot as an intern, no pay, a day or two a week, but not having the best of luck at the moment
"The ART of brewing Beer, is the ACT of brewing Beer"
https://txbrewing.wordpress.com

Ferm 1: Irish Red Ale
Ferm 2:

On Deck: American Wheat

Keg 1: Un-Common
Keg 2: Switchback Stout

Total Gallons brewed (2015) - 10

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 05:22:08 am »
Dont forget, there may be insurance issues for the brewery as well.  I am in Colorado Springs and want to look for a spot as an intern, no pay, a day or two a week, but not having the best of luck at the moment

Insurance is an issue. I had each of them sign a waiver that we were not responsible for any injuries (and, gosh, there's a million ways to get injured), though I'm not sure it would have really held up in court.

If you do get either hired on as paid of volunteer, expect to do the most mundane tasks. Sweep floors. Build case boxes. Squeegee. Mold patrol. Polish outside of stainless tanks. If your lucky you might even get to run the keg cleaner. Bunt, unless it is a really small fledgling operation, don't expect to get too close to the brew house.

Offline TMX

• Assistant Brewer
  • Evolution of the next Revolution
    • TxBrewing
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 06:41:02 am »
I have no expectations of being a free for hire head brewer. I just to see what it takes to brew on that scale. I am 2.5 years from retirement from the Army and a small brew pub is what I want after this is over
"The ART of brewing Beer, is the ACT of brewing Beer"
https://txbrewing.wordpress.com

Ferm 1: Irish Red Ale
Ferm 2:

On Deck: American Wheat

Keg 1: Un-Common
Keg 2: Switchback Stout

Total Gallons brewed (2015) - 10