One of my goals is to DIY my homebrewery as much as practical; and in this case I put together this grain mill in a one step at a time "just get it done" mode. That is to say, functional & good enough so I can get onto brewing. The second goal is to recycle and spend as little as possible. I'm in about $15 on this one for wingnuts, bolts, and an adapter to fasten a gear to the drill.
I need to finish the hopper, replace the drill/motor, and fine tune it a little bit, yet I'm good for somewhere around 70%-73% efficiency and no mash-tun clogging with two batches so far. I really really really want to go with larger rollers and the 4" aluminum rollers was the best I could do.
Learned lessons: the mill does best when going as slow as possible. I tried a few different drills to power it, but fell back on the smallest drill I had and kept the feed light. Using a voltage regulator to keep the speed as minimal as possible. Cutting the gears out of plywood was easier than imagined and I'm surprised it runs as smooth as it does. Gap setting is for a credit card to pass through but not where the numbers are printed, thinking this is slightly larger than 1/64".
The start of batch one of two for NHC Club Night. Cheers Yo.