Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cellar Brewery  (Read 5081 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Cellar Brewery
« on: January 07, 2016, 08:25:11 am »
I'm getting a bunch of woodworking equipment which will mean that I have to re-think my cellar. My girlfriend offered to give up her old art studio which is a finished room about 10X16. She has a better one with natural light now and was using it mainly to store supplies. So that will be the brewery and a section of my cellar currently storing brewing supplies and ingredients will be the shop.
My biggest challenge is running water. I have a big two bay stainless steel sink from a commercial kitchen I would love to install. Has anyone done this in a cellar themselves? I'm wondering if this would cost hundreds or into the thousands to have a plumber do. Does anyone know if this is a doable DIY? I don't know plumbing but I'm pretty handy and I understand pex makes it easier. I know it will require a pump to drain the sink. I would love to get a zymatic but maybe just a cobbled together electric system which would require an exhaust system which I don't know the cost of.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Cellar Brewery
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 09:38:02 am »
A few thoughts to get the ball rolling:

- Don't you have a floor drain?  Couldn't you run the sink into the drain?
- If you do an electric system, you only need an exhaust system to move the moisture.  Is there a nearby window you could put a box fan to move the moisture out and another window or door to bring in fresh air.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 09:51:06 am »
A few thoughts to get the ball rolling:

- Don't you have a floor drain?  Couldn't you run the sink into the drain?
- If you do an electric system, you only need an exhaust system to move the moisture.  Is there a nearby window you could put a box fan to move the moisture out and another window or door to bring in fresh air.
No floor drain. Yes and yes to nearby window and other windows/doors. They are small cellar windows though, I don't think a fan is enough.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 11:43:02 am »
Exhaust for the zymatic or even a small electric system is really small.  A kitchen range hood could handle that as long as the run of flexible duct is not overly long.  A bathroom exhaust fan would also work.  Enclosing your tun with a shower curtain would improve capture by the exhaust fan

If all you want is some carbon-filtered water to fill your tun, then all you probably need is an ice maker kit and your filters.  A filter kit might come with a saddle valve.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 11:55:53 am »
I'm getting a bunch of woodworking equipment which will mean that I have to re-think my cellar. My girlfriend offered to give up her old art studio which is a finished room about 10X16. She has a better one with natural light now and was using it mainly to store supplies. So that will be the brewery and a section of my cellar currently storing brewing supplies and ingredients will be the shop.
My biggest challenge is running water. I have a big two bay stainless steel sink from a commercial kitchen I would love to install. Has anyone done this in a cellar themselves? I'm wondering if this would cost hundreds or into the thousands to have a plumber do. Does anyone know if this is a doable DIY? I don't know plumbing but I'm pretty handy and I understand pex makes it easier. I know it will require a pump to drain the sink. I would love to get a zymatic but maybe just a cobbled together electric system which would require an exhaust system which I don't know the cost of.
With that woodworking equipment you should be able to build a table or stand for that SS sink.  DIY plumbing with plastic (cpvc) is easy and cheap.  Plumbers = $$$.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 12:47:05 pm »
With that woodworking equipment you should be able to build a table or stand for that SS sink.  DIY plumbing with plastic (cpvc) is easy and cheap.  Plumbers = $$$.
Yep, that's what I'm thinking. The main challenge I need to really learn about is the draining wastewater without gravity. I probably need to pump it up to a drain pipe that goes to the septic system.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 05:02:41 pm »
Personally, I would want to get the plumbing right.  I've learned that I should not take on sweating existing copper pipe, the hard way.

Ventilation should be pretty easy if you have windows.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 06:01:49 pm »
Yep, that's what I'm thinking. The main challenge I need to really learn about is the draining wastewater without gravity. I probably need to pump it up to a drain pipe that goes to the septic system.

You'll need a sump hole and a sump pump under the sink to connect to the sewer/septic. I would feel pretty confident getting the hole and the pump plumbed, but I wouldn't connect to the septic myself. I'd feel better spending the 100-200 bucks for that part to get a licensed plumber in there. You really don't want to deal with a septic issue.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 07:15:06 am »

You'll need a sump hole and a sump pump under the sink to connect to the sewer/septic. I would feel pretty confident getting the hole and the pump plumbed, but I wouldn't connect to the septic myself. I'd feel better spending the 100-200 bucks for that part to get a licensed plumber in there. You really don't want to deal with a septic issue.
That makes sense. I feel like this is probably a hybrid job. I do as much work as I am comfortable with and hire a plumber to check my work and do some of the more important, trickier stuff.