Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Visible Carbonation  (Read 1817 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Visible Carbonation
« on: December 14, 2014, 04:07:44 pm »
I'm curious to know if you can tell how well a beer is carbonated just by seeing the bubbles? I'm drinking a Gose right now (Anderson Valley Blood Orange) and I see zero bubbles. Just curious, thanks.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Visible Carbonation
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 04:33:32 pm »
Yes and no. Too many variables to account for. Temp of glass, shape of glass, cleanliness of glass, temp of beer, viscosity of beer, vigor of pour.

Offline Black Sands Brewery & Supply

• Assistant Brewer
  • Head Brewer - Black Sands
    • Black Sands
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 05:10:32 pm »
I'm curious to know if you can tell how well a beer is carbonated just by seeing the bubbles? I'm drinking a Gose right now (Anderson Valley Blood Orange) and I see zero bubbles. Just curious, thanks.

That beer might also have much lower carbonation when packaged than most beers do too.
Free recipes available for download on our website www.blacksandsbeer.com

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 04:05:23 pm »
I've poured two beers off a keg into different shaped glasses many times and noticed that one looked flat and one was effervescent like champagne.

I've also filled a glass with beer that looked flat (that I knew was perfectly carbonated), gently poured it into a different glass, and watched the bubbling increase drastically.

I don't mind a non-effervescent pour, but for guests I try to use appropriate glassware so the beer doesn't appear undercarbed.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 04:57:58 pm »
It is amazing how the proper glass makes such a big difference.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 05:18:28 pm »
And there are the ones like the SA glasses and Sierra IPA glasses with the etched bottom that releases carbonation.  I've put ales that weren't carbed much above English bitter into one of those glasses and the carbonation streams up like crazy. On a similar note, my wife would rather I didn't buy any more beer glasses for awhile. I've filled up a big cabinet over the years.    ;)
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 12:41:02 pm »
On a similar note, my wife would rather I didn't buy any more beer glasses for awhile. I've filled up a big cabinet over the years.    ;)
Just a large cabinet Jon? I have boxes (probably 10-12 of 8-10 each) of glassware on shelves in the current basement, that I had displayed in my basement bar before I moved to Cincinnati area. As it stands, I took over the drinking glass cabinet in the new kitchen with just pint glasses. The kids love them, and I've mostly grown tired of using them. 3 years on the Winking LIzard's World Tour of Beers helped me to rack up appropriate glassware for almost any style and they are just waiting for me to brew their respective styles. The rest will wind up in a yard/garage sale eventually. I worked in restaurants and bars for 20+ years so I always had access to whatever the reps brought in to my establishments. And on the plus side, the SA glasses both the 16 & 22 oz versions have been great for almost everything I have brewed so far. Great presentation pieces
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 12:46:44 pm »
On a similar note, my wife would rather I didn't buy any more beer glasses for awhile. I've filled up a big cabinet over the years.    ;)
Just a large cabinet Jon? I have boxes (probably 10-12 of 8-10 each) of glassware on shelves in the current basement, that I had displayed in my basement bar before I moved to Cincinnati area. As it stands, I took over the drinking glass cabinet in the new kitchen with just pint glasses. The kids love them, and I've mostly grown tired of using them. 3 years on the Winking LIzard's World Tour of Beers helped me to rack up appropriate glassware for almost any style and they are just waiting for me to brew their respective styles. The rest will wind up in a yard/garage sale eventually. I worked in restaurants and bars for 20+ years so I always had access to whatever the reps brought in to my establishments. And on the plus side, the SA glasses both the 16 & 22 oz versions have been great for almost everything I have brewed so far. Great presentation pieces

Nice. I have several dozen, plenty of Belgian and German ones aside from cool domestic ones. British pints too. Haven't counted in a long time, but they fill up a big 4 tier curio cabinet. Love the glassware !
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 01:04:06 pm »

Nice. I have several dozen, plenty of Belgian and German ones aside from cool domestic ones. British pints too. Haven't counted in a long time, but they fill up a big 4 tier curio cabinet. Love the glassware !

+1 guilty on glass collection. Here's just one of my collections.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next: