Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First Sour  (Read 925 times)

Offline hangdog10

• 1st Kit
First Sour
« on: January 08, 2015, 03:59:34 pm »
I'm fermenting my first "lambic" using the Apple Pseudo-Lambic recipe from BYO. It's sitting on apples at this point and I'm wondering how long to let it sit. The recipe says 10-15 days, but everything that I've read so far, says to let it sit a lot longer than that. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

From the recipe: Ferment relatively warm (70° to 75° F) until the first phase of fermentation is done (three to five days, usually), then rack into a secondary in which you have already placed the chopped apples. Pitch prepared Wyeast 3278 (formerly labeled as Brettanomyces Bruxellensis, but now simply called B-yeast), close up, and condition cool (50° to 55° F) for 10 to 15 days.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 04:35:28 pm by hangdog10 »

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: First Sour
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 07:13:34 am »
Wyeast 3278 is the lambic blend.  This has brett, pedio, and lactobacillus in it.  It is a fairly tame blend and will take at least 8-12 mos to produce any noticeable acidity and sourness relative to a typical lambic (or fruit lambic).  I would bring your fermenter somewhere much warmer (think 65-low 70's) to allow the brett and bacteria to work on the remaining sugars in the fruit and extract. If you are looking for more complexity and depth to the finished product (along with possibly a bit speedier production in the finished product), then you might want to consider pitching the dregs of a few commercial sour beers that you enjoy the flavor profile of (i.e. Russian River, Jolly Pumpkin, etc) along the way.

Be patient with this one.  Don't even try your first sample until it is at least 6 mos old.  It will get better with more age.  Good luck and welcome to the world of the wild ones!

Cheers -

Brewinhard

Offline hangdog10

• 1st Kit
Re: First Sour
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 10:25:32 am »
Greatly appreciate the advice. That is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks
Marty