Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: hops for kolsch 'style' ale  (Read 9243 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
hops for kolsch 'style' ale
« on: January 07, 2015, 07:53:56 am »
So I brew an 'Americanized' kolsch style ale with magnum for bittering and then 1/2 oz Amarillo at 20 & 5 minutes remaining in the boil (~25IBU). I have dryhopped it a couple of times with 1/2-3/4 oz as well. I really like this beer but think it can be improved. I am thinking about going more traditional but still using some American hops at non traditional times. I am guilty of changing too many things or overcomplicating matters when trying to tweak a beer...

For my next attempt in a couple of weeks, I am considering using Tettnang for FWH and possibly mixing it with Amarillo for the other additions. I am considering throwing Palisade in the mix or using that in place of Amarillo since it is a bit more mild. The other option would be to just do a regular kolsch with one FWH addition and that's it but that gets away from my idea.

Any ideas on how I should mix citrusy American hops with something more noblish? Varieties, addition times, amounts, etc.?

Maybe just simplify it by doing a FWH addition and a short hopstand of an American variety?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 07:57:35 am by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: hops for kolsch 'style' ale
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 08:01:03 am »
I would consider Crystal as a finishing hop. It has Hallertau character, but has some American hop character too as Crystal was one of its grandmothers. It has been tasty in an Americanized Pilsner I make.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 08:04:54 am »
I would consider Crystal as a finishing hop. It has Hallertau character, but has some American hop character too as Crystal was one of its grandmothers. It has been tasty in an Americanized Pilsner I make.

That sounds like a great idea. Do you think Tettnang is a decent choice to go with it? I have not used either hop and will be placing an order especially for this batch.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 08:13:42 am »
I don't mind the idea of a Kolsch with American hop character, but in a style defined by subtlety it gets overdone quickly. I think that's what your getting at anyway, but it makes me think of this ...

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 08:15:18 am »
I've made a "Kolsch" with domestic Tettnang using WY2112 and folks really enjoy it.  I like your idea of blending something along the lines of Amarillo, with a measured touch.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 08:19:50 am »

That sounds like a great idea. Do you think Tettnang is a decent choice to go with it? I have not used either hop and will be placing an order especially for this batch.

The German Tettnanger Tettnang would be a nice spicy hop to use. The American Tettnang is different, as it has been said that DNA testing showed it to be Fuggles. It will have some US character due to terroir too.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 08:21:45 am »
Trust me I am aware that I am not supposed to call it a 'kolsch' but it tastes a lot closer to that than an APA since it is much more balanced and has that classic kolsch malt/yeast character. I guess it might be closer to an American blonde ale? I thought 'Americanized Kolsch Style Ale' might describe where I am coming from...I simply named it Goslch due to my last name
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 08:24:02 am by goschman »

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 08:23:21 am »

The German Tettnanger Tettnang would be a nice spicy hop to use. The American Tettnang is different, as it has been said that DNA testing showed it to be Fuggles. It will have some US character due to terroir too.

Got ya. I see that Yakima Valley has Tettnanger but they appear to be of the American variety. At that point I could just go with Willamette since that is a possible substitution for Tettnang and Fuggles and I have a bunch. Probably not the best route...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 08:39:23 am by goschman »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 08:29:45 am »
 Like I posted on a different thread, I've been wanting to use Sapphire (Saphir) in a kolsch.  It's a Hallertau offshoot, too, that also has some American citrus/tangerine character along with the floral Hallertau thing. It was great in a cream ale and I bet it would be in kolsch, too.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 08:41:49 am »
Ok well I think I will just have to wing it a bit. I think I will go with something 'noblish' for a FWH addition then maybe Crystal and a small amount of Amarillo for late additions. Probably shoot for 20-25 IBUs with no dry hop this go round. That will get me closer to a kolsch while still not being a kolsch...haha

Thinking something like
1 oz Hallertau, German Tettnang, etc FWH
0.75 oz Crystal 20 min
0.5 oz Crystal 5 min
0.5 oz Amarillo 5 min
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 08:59:29 am by goschman »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 11:59:12 am »
Ok well I think I will just have to wing it a bit. I think I will go with something 'noblish' for a FWH addition then maybe Crystal and a small amount of Amarillo for late additions. Probably shoot for 20-25 IBUs with no dry hop this go round. That will get me closer to a kolsch while still not being a kolsch...haha

Thinking something like
1 oz Hallertau, German Tettnang, etc FWH
0.75 oz Crystal 20 min
0.5 oz Crystal 5 min
0.5 oz Amarillo 5 min

That looks tasty. It won't be a true Koelsch, but you can't see the towers of the Cathederal in Koeln, so who cares.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 12:28:49 pm »
Sterling and Motueka are two hops I reach for when I'm trying to put a New World spin on a continental style. Both have some Saaz in their lineage, and definitely have "Noble" character to them. Sterling gets a nice lemonade thing when you start to push the hopping rates and use it late. Motueka has a lot of lemongrass and lime zest, even at lower hopping rates. Neither one is a super-oily IPA hop, but they both have citrus notes.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 01:14:32 pm »
I was considering Sterling as well. I think in the end, it will come down to what I have on hand and whether I want/need to order more hops.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 05:42:51 pm »
Like I posted on a different thread, I've been wanting to use Sapphire (Saphir) in a kolsch.  It's a Hallertau offshoot, too, that also has some American citrus/tangerine character along with the floral Hallertau thing. It was great in a cream ale and I bet it would be in kolsch, too.
Last year I brewed an amber ale with simcoe, summit, and saphir that turned out excellent.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 05:58:09 pm »
Last year I brewed an amber ale with simcoe, summit, and saphir that turned out excellent.

Sounds good. No onion/garlic from the Summit ? I've had terrible luck with it.
Jon H.