Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: hops for kolsch 'style' ale  (Read 9248 times)

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Re: hops for kolsch 'style' ale
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2015, 10:33:02 pm »
Trust me I am aware that I am not supposed to call it a 'kolsch' but it tastes a lot closer to that than an APA since it is much more balanced and has that classic kolsch malt/yeast character. I guess it might be closer to an American blonde ale? I thought 'Americanized Kolsch Style Ale' might describe where I am coming from...I simply named it Goslch due to my last name
;D I love it!
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2015, 07:34:34 am »
Trust me I am aware that I am not supposed to call it a 'kolsch' but it tastes a lot closer to that than an APA since it is much more balanced and has that classic kolsch malt/yeast character. I guess it might be closer to an American blonde ale? I thought 'Americanized Kolsch Style Ale' might describe where I am coming from...I simply named it Goslch due to my last name
;D I love it!
Me too. I was just meaning that I've tasted attempts that were highly hopped and they just seem like pale ales with a lightish grain bill - especially considering the trend towards pale ales and IPA's with lighter malt character.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2015, 08:02:50 am »
I got ya. I do brew quite a few hybrid type beers that are close to but not quite to meeting style specifications
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2015, 08:38:18 am »
I got ya. I do brew quite a few hybrid type beers that are close to but not quite to meeting style specifications

As you should!
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2015, 09:03:53 am »

Same here. I've been chasing the elusive "hoppy lager" for a while now, and I think I'm getting close. I'm interested in hearing what your final recipe ends up as, and how it turns out. It seems like it's similar to what I'm trying to do myself.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2015, 09:27:00 am »

Same here. I've been chasing the elusive "hoppy lager" for a while now, and I think I'm getting close. I'm interested in hearing what your final recipe ends up as, and how it turns out. It seems like it's similar to what I'm trying to do myself.

I will be brewing this next but it won't be for a couple of weeks. I will try to remember to report back.

First attempt hop schedule was something like:
Magnum 60 min
1/2 oz Amarillo 20 min
1/2 oz Amarillo 5 min
1/2 oz Amarillo dry hop

2nd attempt - I wanted to increase aroma but dial down the citrus character. I did not notice a difference in flavor but a slight increase in aroma.
Magnum 60 min
1/4 oz Amarillo, 1/4 oz Willamette 20 min
1/4 oz Amarillo, 1/4 oz Willamette 5 min
3/4 oz Amarillo dry hop

Next attempt - This should be a substantial change
1 oz? Willamette FWH (I know a lot of people don't like Willamette but I haven't use it enough to really have an opinion yet. I have a few ounces needing to be used...)
3/4 oz Liberty or 1/2 oz Sterling 20 min (undecided)
1/2 oz Liberty or Sterling, 1/2 oz Amarillo 5 min
no dry hop.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2015, 09:40:16 am »
That would definitely cut back on the citrus character, with only one Amarillo addition. Nice noble hop-type character from Liberty and Sterling.  Try the Willamette and see what you think.
Also, +1 to brewing to style for comps and brewing whatever you feel otherwise.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2015, 10:14:37 am »
Thanks everyone for all of the help. My usage of hops usually seems to be the limiting factor in my beers. It seems that I prefer moderately hoppy styles but brew better malty styles. My new pale ale is maybe the best that I have done but it's still missing something. The continual work in progress I guess...

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2015, 11:53:04 am »
The continual work in progress I guess...

Wouldn't be any fun otherwise!!!   ;D ;D

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2015, 01:07:17 pm »
The German Tettnanger Tettnang would be a nice spicy hop to use. The American Tettnang is different, as it has been said that DNA testing showed it to be Fuggles. It will have some US character due to terroir too.

+1

Jeff is correct.  American Tettnanger is not the same cultivar as Tettnang Tettnanger.   What it truly is is still up for debate.  Dr. Haunold believes that US Tettnanger is Fuggle.  Other Scientists believe that it is a Tettnanger/Fuggle hybrid originally from the other side of Lake Constance in Switzerland.

USDA ACCESSION NO.: 61021

SELECTION: Developed from a German land race in the Tettnang area of southwestern Germany

GENUS: Humulus

SPECIES: lupulus

CULTIVAR: Tettnanger (sometimes called Swiss Tettnanger); other names: Schwetzinger, Deutscher Fruehhopfen

PEDIGREE: Unknown

PRIMARY SITE: USDA ARS World Hop Cultivar Collection, OSU East Farm, Corvallis

ORIGIN: Probably clonal selection; obtained in 1961 from S. S. Steiner of Laupheim, Germany, via Parma Agricultural Experiment Station, Idaho (Dr. R. R. Romanko)

DATE RECEIVED: 1961

METHOD RECEIVED: Rhizomes

AVAILABILITY: No restrictions, commercial variety

REFERENCES: Romanko, R. R. In: Steiner's Guide to American Hops, Book III. New York, NY. S.S. Steiner Inc. 1986, p. 50.

Kohlmann, H., and A. Kastner. Der Hopfen. Hopfenverlag Wolnzach, 1975, p. 34.

Various USDA Annual Reports starting in 1962.

MATURITY: Early

LEAF COLOR: Medium green

SEX: Female

DISEASES: Downy Mildew: moderately resistant

Verticillium Wilt: unknown

Viruses: unknown

VIGOR: Good, especially early in the season, but poor in early to mid summer

YIELD: Low, 1000 1300 lbs/acre

SIDE ARM LENGTH: 12 36 inches

ALPHA ACIDS: 4.7% (9 year range 4.1 6.3%)

BETA ACIDS: 4.7% (9 year range 3.6 5.7%)

COHUMULONE: 22%

STORAGE STABILITY: Fair (retained 57% of original alpha acids after 6 months room temperature storage).

OIL: 0.66 ml/100 g (9 year range 0.42 1.13 ml/100 g)

MAJOR TRAITS: European noble aroma characteristics, alpha/beta ratio near 1; reddish hue on the main vine.

OTHER INFORMATION: Imported to the United States in substantial quantities because domestic production, which has increased in recent years, is insufficient to satisfy demand. Exported from Germany to many countries around the world for premium prices. German production is insufficient to meet increasing demands worldwide. In 1988 2800 acres of Tettnangs were grown primarily in northern Idaho, the Yakima Valley of Washington, and the Willamette Valley of Oregon. (Note: This hop became known as US Tettnanger and was originally a mixture with Fuggle. In recent years, most of US Tettnanger was Fuggle. Anheuser Busch dropped US Tettnanger in 1997/98).The name Swiss Tettnanger refers to the fact that this hop clone was originally brought to the U.S. from Switzerland (near St. Gallen across Lake Constance from the major Tettnang hop growing area in Germany). It is very similar to USDA 21015 which was introduced as a clonal selection in 1970.

With that said, I think that US Tettnanger tastes nothing like Fuggle.  It also tastes nothing like Tettnang Tettnanger (a.k.a. German Tettnanger).  It has it's own mild flavor coupled with clean bitterness, which I happen to like in delicate beer styles.  I like US Tettnanger enough that I purchased a pound of whole US Tettnanger this year to recreate many of the beer recipes that designed in the nineties and early 00s.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2015, 01:10:06 pm »
Interesting. Thanks for the info!

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2015, 11:45:24 pm »
With that said, I think that US Tettnanger tastes nothing like Fuggle.  It also tastes nothing like Tettnang Tettnanger (a.k.a. German Tettnanger).  It has it's own mild flavor coupled with clean bitterness, which I happen to like in delicate beer styles.  I like US Tettnanger enough that I purchased a pound of whole US Tettnanger this year to recreate many of the beer recipes that designed in the nineties and early 00s.

I think it would make a delightful Golsch.  8)
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline lonelymtn

• 1st Kit
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2015, 12:07:50 am »
I do a Kolsch every year around summer solstice time for my neighbors.  The version that turned out the best was all Sterling.  1 oz each at 60', 30', and flame out.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2015, 07:16:14 am »
I do a Kolsch every year around summer solstice time for my neighbors.  The version that turned out the best was all Sterling.  1 oz each at 60', 30', and flame out.

As usual, I am torn. I am leaning toward throwing in some Sterling with Crystal and Amarillo... I just need to brew the damn thing so it is what it is...

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2015, 07:30:33 am »

As usual, I am torn. I am leaning toward throwing in some Sterling with Crystal and Amarillo... I just need to brew the damn thing so it is what it is...

nothing to it but to brew it!