Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2014 Columbus hops  (Read 2364 times)

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
2014 Columbus hops
« on: January 31, 2015, 07:38:50 pm »
I've used some 2014 Columbus hops today and they smell very much like onions and garlic.  I've never gotten this aroma before from Columbus and I've used them a lot. I got them from Yakima Valley Hops and I was wondering if anybody else has had a similar experience. I thought that it could just be a particular crop this year or maybe worse they mixed up the packaging and I got Summit or something. 
Dan Chisholm

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: 2014 Columbus hops
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 08:47:40 pm »
Dan, I've used their 2014 Columbus pellets and not gotten any of that.  And I avoid Summit because of the onion /garlic thing.  I use a fair amount of Columbus but obviously I can only speak for what I've used. Did you blend it with any other hops, out of curiosity?

EDIT -  Mine are from YVH, too.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 09:04:45 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 08:56:29 pm »
I have a bag, from YVH even, that I'll be braking down tomorrow. I'll report back.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 09:26:41 pm »
Dan, I've used their 2014 Columbus pellets and not gotten any of that.  And I avoid Summit because of the onion /garlic thing.  I use a fair amount of Columbus but obviously I can only speak for what I've used. Did you blend it with any other hops, out of curiosity?

EDIT -  Mine are from YVH, too.
I did blend it with other hops at flameout, but the smell was right out of the bag and when I added it to the boil for my 60 min. addition. I only added the Columbus at the 60 min. addition and I could smell this same onion/garlic aroma in the wort. Like I said, I've used Columbus for over 8 years and I've never had this aroma before. I'm starting to think that the packaging was mixed up and I got Summit which I really don't like at all.
Dan Chisholm

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 09:36:11 pm »
Well I hope you didn't get the wrong one by accident. I agree, I've used a lot of Columbus and never had that issue with it. I've always had good luck with YVH.
Jon H.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 09:45:27 pm »
I sent them an e-mail and it probably was just a labeling mistake or something. I think I'm going to either give these away or pitch them like I did with the Summit hops I got a couple of years ago. I like onions and garlic in my food, but not in my beer.
Dan Chisholm

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 10:01:55 pm »
I sent them an e-mail and it probably was just a labeling mistake or something. I think I'm going to either give these away or pitch them like I did with the Summit hops I got a couple of years ago. I like onions and garlic in my food, but not in my beer.

I'm with you. Too many good varieties out there to use Summit!
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 03:17:52 am »
A few people have mentioned that the "onion/garlic" thing may not have as much to do with the type of hop as much as when it was harvested (later on the bine I believe).

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 09:58:59 pm »
I bought a pound of 2014 Columbus (CTZ) from YVH in December.  Smells and tastes fine.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.