Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: blood orange saison  (Read 8517 times)

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
Re: blood orange saison
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2015, 04:28:20 pm »
Maybe moderation is the key. SiameseMoose uses 2 oranges for 5 gallons, Sam Calagione recommends 4 oranges for 5 gallons (in Hefe). So I'll go half way and use a ratio of about two thirds of an orange per gallon.

Juice in secondary, peeled skin also in secondary but in a bag, so I can remove when the taste is ok. Maybe sanitize (spray with star san?), but I'm not sure whether it's necessary.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2015, 04:30:00 pm »
the color is so important to a 'blood orange' anything that I would think you would almost have to use the juice as well.

I can always add red beet juice. I've seen people do that to make a red IPA  :P
Frank P.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2015, 04:37:03 pm »
Maybe moderation is the key. SiameseMoose uses 2 oranges for 5 gallons, Sam Calagione recommends 4 oranges for 5 gallons (in Hefe). So I'll go half way and use a ratio of about two thirds of an orange per gallon.

Juice in secondary, peeled skin also in secondary but in a bag, so I can remove when the taste is ok. Maybe sanitize (spray with star san?), but I'm not sure whether it's necessary.

That looks like a good plan to me.
Jon H.

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2015, 10:24:34 am »
I have a blood orange tree and make a BO brew every year. wash the fruit, zest it and add it at end of boil. For the rest I've done it 2 ways. The first time I peeled the oranges, took the fruit and crushed it up and added it at end of fermentation. Let it sit for up to another week... came out good. Since then, I juice the oranges and take a quart of juice and boil it down to about 1/2-3/4 cup and add that at end of fermentation and then let that sit for about 3 days until that fermentation is done. Always comes out good and have never had any off flavors associated with it. I use the zest of anywhere from 3-6 oranges and whatever it takes to get a quart of juice. I like my fruit beers to be light and not sweet or overpowering.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2015, 10:48:30 am »

I remember using the Sam C. hefe recipe some years ago. No problems.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2015, 11:50:53 am »
The beer that I tried that tasted like Dreft had the peel of one orange and one lemon per 5 liter. Plus some ginger.
Frank P.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2015, 05:06:38 am »
I have a blood orange tree and make a BO brew every year. wash the fruit, zest it and add it at end of boil. For the rest I've done it 2 ways. The first time I peeled the oranges, took the fruit and crushed it up and added it at end of fermentation. Let it sit for up to another week... came out good. Since then, I juice the oranges and take a quart of juice and boil it down to about 1/2-3/4 cup and add that at end of fermentation and then let that sit for about 3 days until that fermentation is done. Always comes out good and have never had any off flavors associated with it. I use the zest of anywhere from 3-6 oranges and whatever it takes to get a quart of juice. I like my fruit beers to be light and not sweet or overpowering.
So why boil down?
Frank P.

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2015, 01:45:02 pm »
to concentrate it.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2015, 12:27:58 pm »
I just read in Experimental Homebrewing  Drew's Saison Sangreal. He adds 3 liters of orange juice to the 5 gallons of beer after first fermentation. Has anyone actually tried this? Looks like an awful lot of juice...
Frank P.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2015, 12:33:36 pm »
I just read in Experimental Homebrewing  Drew's Saison Sangreal. He adds 3 liters of orange juice to the 5 gallons of beer after first fermentation. Has anyone actually tried this? Looks like an awful lot of juice...

Not with orange juice, but when I make fruit beers I add fruit puree to a secondary fermenter and rack the beer on top. Depending on the fruit I use I might use from 1 -3  48 oz cans of fruit purees - I make these for my wife and she prefers fruit beer in the Lindemann's 'fruit bomb' zone.
Jon H.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2015, 12:38:57 pm »
that's why I'm asking. Unfortunately for me the Lindemans fruit bomb zone is the death zone for me
Frank P.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2015, 12:49:28 pm »
that's why I'm asking. Unfortunately for me the Lindemans fruit bomb zone is the death zone for me

I agree, can't drink Lindemans either. I actually used to make fruit beers that were pretty balanced with the grist IMO, but they were too 'beery' for her. But she puts up with me being absorbed in this hobby, so I make her a fruit bomb a few times a year and all is good. Works for me.
Jon H.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2015, 01:15:00 pm »
The relationship with my girlfriend has taken another route altogether. She didn't drink much alcohol before she met me, let alone extreme beers. Now she pries the Fou'foune and the barrel aged imperial stout from my cold, dead hands. The only niche that is left to me is the really smoked German beers, style Schlenkerla.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 01:16:58 pm by homoeccentricus »
Frank P.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2015, 03:17:48 pm »
ive been wanting to make a saison...share the recipe? it sounds delicious.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2015, 03:36:03 pm »
ive been wanting to make a saison...share the recipe? it sounds delicious.

This is pretty basic, but good -  75% good pils, 20% Vienna, 5% Wheat. Mash @ 147F/ 90 minutes. Wyeast 3711, pitch @ 64 or 65F. 72hrs later slowly ramp up to 80F, leave until FG.  You can sub Munich or Rye for the Vienna, all are good.
Jon H.